oiling cabinets

Guest fourwheels0

Guest fourwheels0

ok i did a search and came up empty. i have watco danish oil in natural finish. should i use this on my klh speakers?. i have 17' and 23's. is there anything better out there to use?. neither pair have been touched with anything as far as i can tell except maybe a damp cloth lol.

Here is a link to some discussion by many who visit here regularly on the subject of cabinet refinishing. I assume your KLH's are walnut veneered.

What you have will work fine. There are other choices as well:

1) Boiled linseed oil

2) Howard's Restor-A-Finish ( Personally use this one a lot)

3) Ole English Scratch cover for Dark woods

4) Minwax Wood-Sheen rubbing oil stain and finish

and numerous others.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...nishing+cabinet

Guest fourwheels0

well i oiled my dlk/2's just to get a feel for it before i do my 17's. WOW what a difference. thought i'd post a pic. as you can see 1 was done and 1 was not in the pic. i used watco danish oil in natural finish.now i need to clean my 17's and then oil them.

post-103218-1215219140.jpg

HI TO ALL, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A GOOD QUALITY BOILED LINSEED OIL, THE STUFF I'VE FOUND IN HOME DEPOT AND LOWES IS TOO THICK AND IT STINKS, NOTHING AT ALL LIKE I USED TO GET IN THE LATE 60'S, THANKS, ROB

Hi Rob;

I bought some boiled linseed oil back in the late '60's early '70's.

Yes, it has an odour to it and yes, it is not water thin.

Follow the finishing instructions as per the AR speaker cabinet refinishing sheet I posted on this site a few years ago, at least once.

Read the caution on that same sheet.

It covers all of the different speaker finishes AR sold and is only one page long.

I followed the directions for my own oiled walnut speakers and when finished a very nice appearance was visible.

It is done in a few steps, not just wipe on and wipe off in 5 minutes, so take your time, it is well worth all of your effort.

Vern

Archived