HH Scott Speakers

Guest Panhead

Guest Panhead

I am new to this form. Know very little about speakers other than I need them to listen to music etc. I recently obtained a pair of S186 Scott speakers. The have a 10" woofer, a 41/2 " mid-range and a tweeter. Couple of knobs on the front so you can adjust the cross over(at least that is what I think they do and they seem to work) I am repairing the foam on the woofers and seem to be doing an adequate job. I would just like to know a little more about these and can't find much specific information. Someone paid big bucks for them because there are identifying marks engraved on the metal name plate on the front. A label on the back tells how to hook them up and how to "phase" them. It has an address in Woburn, Ma as the manufacturers home address. I am guessing these speakers are from the late 60's early 70's.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with information.

I don't know anything about your speakers (S186) but I did have a pair of Scott S-3 speaker systems from the early 60s. H.H. Scott, a well respected firm from the golden days of high fidelity. Their historic home base was in Maynard, Massachusetts. The S-3 had a similar complement as you described. But your comment about controls on the front is puzzling. The S-3 controls were in the rear. The woofer and mid-range speakers were made in Denmark and no foam on the woofer. They lasted for me for +45 years (I gave them away). Built like the well described brick s*******e. Sound was good, not great. Ported, so it was not AR technology. If you like them, great.

John

Archived