AR "Rock Partners"

I bought a pair of triangular AR bookshelf speakers from a reseller a few years back. There is no model number, only the words Rock Partners on the back. A Google search turned up absolutley nada! Any ideas? Thanks

Rock Partners were basically AR18s components in the triangular cabinet.

Nominal impedance - 8 ohm

Power handling - 100w/channel

The units comprised of 1.25 inch liquid cooled cone tweeter and 8 inch paper cone woofer.

They were in production around 1988-1990 and there were a number of similar systems including :-

Powered Partner - small active system.

Party Partner - larger brother to the Rock Partner with a 10 inch long throw woofer.

Environmental Partner - weather resistant small active system.

Steve

• 6 years later...
Guest Novusmusic
I bought a pair of triangular AR bookshelf speakers from a reseller a few years back. There is no model number, only the words Rock Partners on the back. A Google search turned up absolutley nada! Any ideas? Thanks

Ihave been making and mixing electronic music since the late 70s and I purchased a pair of AR rock Partners to use as close field monitors backin 1989 for 500 dollars Aust. At the time Iwas at the end of my style and embarking on an Acidhouse jouney style feel, so musiclaly they have taken a lot of hard work in the studio and at gigs for discreet foldback. My use of the AR rockpartners suprised my peers as the were obsessed with turbo sound drivers for monitors or Yamaha NS10s. Music styles from industrial through to triphop drum and Bass and dialogue for film soundtracks they have taken it all in their stride and what makes them stand out for me, is the overall flatness & crispness of the sound, which is what you need for mixing etc. The other speakers I am using are a pair of Yamaha NS 1000s (3 way ported with berilium voice coils which are still to to his day fantastic for sampled sound/music and a pair of ART Audio small infinate baffel alum boxes for ghetto blaster mixes..

The rock partners are as good as new as they have lived in my various studios around Australia working effortlessly,so I highly recommend them to anyone for almost all musics. Unfortunatley they are a bit harsh and unforgiving for traditional orchestral music eg classical. The power rating is 90watts RMS into 8 ohms impedence per box. You will need a 80-100 watt a side amp to drive them correctly as a lower powered amp would blow the tweeters away with HF transients and other artifacts gerated by the HI Fi , Power amp/mixing desk etc.Ihope this is useful to others looking for a pair of classic AR speakers to enjoy...Novusmusic 09 :angry:

Archived