AR-7's and capacitor replacement

Guest Vesa

Hello! I'm starting work on my dad's old AR-7's. The exterior's pretty beat up, the woofers need foaming and all that, but what's puzzling me most at the moment is the capacitor replacement. I dont have a meter to check the present ones, and i do not want to end up frying the tweeters. Since i cant seem to find suitable caps at 6µF (that's what i think i'll need and the closest was 6,8µF) anywhere in finland for a reasonable price and i'd rather not order from abroad, i came to think about connecting two caps in parallel.

The problem i encountered here was that i couldnt find even 3µF caps! The closest were 2,7 and 3,3. So with my math, if i got any of this stuff right, i can sum those up and it makes 6. In a parallel connection this should be Ct=C1+C2. :blink:

So is it possible to do this? Can i connect a 2,7 and a 3,3 µF cap in parallel without any problems to be encountered and reach the desired capacitance? :)

Thanks in advance, cant wait to get those 7s working!

-Vesa

So is it possible to do this? Can i connect a 2,7 and a 3,3 µF cap in parallel without any problems to be encountered and reach the desired capacitance? :)

Hi Vesa

I have used that combination for restoring AR-6 and AR-7 and it works fine.

BRgds Klaus

Archived