Info on upgrading AR2ax's

Guest Terry Again

Guest Terry Again

Hi All,

This is my First post. So I must say thanks to whomever for having this site!!! I've been trying for a few days to phone contact Layne Audio (speaker supply.com?) With questions about a couple of the upgrade kits the list on their site. Keep getting a recorded message say number is not accepting incoming calls. Or something like that. I wonder IF anyone here lives in Nashville,Ten. and could check the shipping address to see if any notice is posted,I fear,wonder if they're still in business? I need to replace the pots for tweeter and mids control. And wonder what I should use for replacement drivers if they're needed? I've had them for awhile and now wish to fix them up to really hear what they're like sound wise!! I'm brain damaged from a car accident 8 years ago and don't spell very well and tend to ramble on some times.

Thanks for any help and replies,

Terry

I am brain damaged,what's your excuse!!

Hi All,

This is my First post. So I must say thanks to whomever for having this site!!! I've been trying for a few days to phone contact Layne Audio (speaker supply.com?) With questions about a couple of the upgrade kits the list on their site. Keep getting a recorded message say number is not accepting incoming calls. Or something like that. I wonder IF anyone here lives in Nashville,Ten. and could check the shipping address to see if any notice is posted,I fear,wonder if they're still in business? I need to replace the pots for tweeter and mids control. And wonder what I should use for replacement drivers if they're needed? I've had them for awhile and now wish to fix them up to really hear what they're like sound wise!! I'm brain damaged from a car accident 8 years ago and don't spell very well and tend to ramble on some times.

Thanks for any help and replies,

Terry

I am brain damaged,what's your excuse!!

Hi Terry, and welcome to the site! I'm afraid Layne Audio has been gone for a few years now, so attempts to reach them are futile. As for your pots, have you tried cleaning them? There's a wealth of info here on the procedure for doing just that. I believe The AR3a restoration guide covers it.

Regarding replacement drivers, I'm afraid your best bet, if you want to maintain the sonic characteristics of the originals, is to search on eBay.....there's a pair of AR2ax tweeters on there right now.

If you search the forum, I'm pretty confident you'll come up with answers to your questions.

Regards,

Bob (aka joelongwood)

If the pots are not completely corroded and beyond repair I would remove them and clean them up if you can. I restored my AR2ax's a little while back and it was my first time doing such work on a pair of vintage speakers. They turned out great and are now part of my main system. For me it was well worth the effort. If you do a search you will find my post on my restoration project. Good Luck!

Here is the link to my post. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4065

Regards,

Jess

Guest Terry Again

Cool Thanks for the info!! I'll try to clean the pots to see what's good and what's bad? IF they're to messed up,is there a new pot I could subsitute? I don't understand all I see on this site and learning will be tough for me,but I can try. Please let me know about the pots just in case!!

Thanks for the replies,

Terry

I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Cool Thanks for the info!! I'll try to clean the pots to see what's good and what's bad? IF they're to messed up,is there a new pot I could subsitute? I don't understand all I see on this site and learning will be tough for me,but I can try. Please let me know about the pots just in case!!

Thanks for the replies,

Terry

I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

If you definitely need to replace them because they are completely corroded you can find suitable replacements on ebay. Here is the latest posting. This individual (Classic Speaker member?) has a lot of items related to AR speakers. Good luck. `

Post some pics of your pots once you get them out of the cabinets. Once out it is a simple matter of removing the hold down clip and pots will come apart for inspection, cleaning, etc. If you are not sure they can be saved I am sure someone here will tell you if they can be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Terry Again

Thanks for the link!! I went to that person's store and yes he has a lot of things for different AR speakers. I did have a case of sticker shock at some of the prices of the drivers though!! I don't know about going the resto route just yet? Might get newer drivers? After I check out the pots though But the AR's are a part of my system as they are. And with my hearing as poor as it is from all those rock concerts and the brain damage I don't really notice a lot of what's missing except to put my ear to the drivers and then I know they aren't working!! Also I can't taste any more and it hasn't effected my appetite much!! :) So I guess IF I decide to update the AR's I need to get my fat butt to the tweaks and mods forum?

Thanks ,

Terry

Archived