AR93,s is 30 watt

I somehow got involved in setting up a Marantz based big bedroom system (5226B)+ Cassette & Onkyo CD. I like the look/feel of the old stuff. Now the question....What speakers? I have a line on a set of AR 93,s. Will the Marantz (30 watt) equipment drive the black towers? Or what alternatives should I look for? Open to all suggestions.

Thanks & great forum

Rick

Guest Nigel

In two words, not likely.

The classic ARs are not easy to drive, the 93 and 94 especially, which have very nasty impedance curves, dropping down close to 2 ohms. If the Marntz has a pre-out, I would just get a seperate power amp, and hide it somewhere. An Adcom 545, 545 II or 5400 are good choices. Alternately, you need to find a classic receiver that works well with 2 ohm loads: HK430 HK630, Onkyo TX-2500 -4500 -8500 (not II versions) are some.

Nigel

• 1 month later...

This is wierd.

I have 1 pair of AR93,s that I hooked up to: You guessed it

newly redone Marantz 2226B Bedroom system. Did not sound good at all.

Since then I have purchased Axiom m22ti (high efficiency speaker , sounds great). Anyway, since you can,t use the AR93,s are they still availiable? I have Onkyo equipment that drives them very well and have been looking for another set of AR93,3 for backRoom.

Thanks Rick

More weirdness

I own 1965 Pontiac

Archived