Tube Damper or Cooler

rrcrain

Does anyone have any first hand experience using tube dampers or coolers. If so, what are your opinions?

Hi Richard;

I was looking for something a few years ago for a tube that I use.

Something, Magical", perhaps.

I don't remember where I read about tube, "coolers".

I ended up buying a circular finned shape, aluminum wrapper, with an o-ring to hold the pressure to keep it against the tube.

I cannot for the life of me remember why, but it was for a good cause.

Maybe lessen harmonics or heat?

As good as guess as I can, at this time.

I found that I did not have enough room to install it, as there was objects in the way.

Hi Richard;

I was looking for something a few years ago for a tube that I use.

Something, Magical", perhaps.

I don't remember where I read about tube, "coolers".

I ended up buying a circular finned shape, aluminum wrapper, with an o-ring to hold the pressure to keep it against the tube.

I cannot for the life of me remember why, but it was for a good cause.

Maybe lessen harmonics or heat?

As good as guess as I can, at this time.

I found that I did not have enough room to install it, as there was objects in the way.

I stumbled across the topic while trying to educate myself on the various types of 6SN7GT tubes, and my first reaction was one of skepticism, mostly because the first source I checked out made rather unrealistic claims and asked an astronomical price for a brass ring. The next source i discovered was pushing a simple tungsten ring imbedded in piece of high temp plastic and made eve more fantastic claims, while asking half the price. The most outrageous was the 24K gold plated brass ring.

Then I came aross an article that focused strictly on tube physics, temperature, gassing, microphonics and shielding. They made no outrageous claims to sonic improvement, instead focusing on how tube life could easily be extended by lowering the temperature of the glass envelope and explained why, with references.

Their product isn't fancy or expensive, they simply claim it lowers tube temp and reduces microphonics, claims easily verified or disproven.

I've asked a local tube "expert" to look over the documentation and give his 2 cents worth, but for $14 a piece for a cube cooler, it might be worth simply trying.

Oh, the Rogue preamp, I bought it. Absolutely stunning; I literally have a new music collection. A telling sign is I come home and the wife has the stereo on rather than the TV.

Archived