New to Dahlquists - just got a pair of DQ10

Guest Dave

I just purchased a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s from a friend (Sue). Sue is the widow of a guy who at least seemed to care somewhat about audio, he had the Dahlquists and a high current NAD 3200 amp, so he had at least an inkling of the need to match an appropriate amp.

The speakers are in unrestored condition, with original stands and feet. One foam surround is shot, the other woofer is not working and I'd assume the surround is gone also. I have not verified all of the drivers, but some if not all of the other drivers are OK. Will check that.

While they are unrestored, they are not unmolested. The grill cloth was replaced by Sue's idea of something pretty, will post a pic for the amusement of all once my camera's batteries charge.

FWIW, I don't expect these to ever be my no 1 speakers. (I have B&W DM70s, Quad ESLs, and some small Mordaunt Shorts) I will either sell them or use them in my living room provided my wife can be convinced or is so otherwise alienated that it makes no difference.

Questions

I will need to deal with the woofers. I see that they can be refoamed, reconed, or replaced. I found regnar and layne audio as sources of the work, and there are local reconing shops as well (I'm near Toronto). Regnar seems to be the boutique outfit that represent themselves as the experts, and will repair woofers for $140 ea, Layne subtly poo poohs that and offers a replacement woofer $80. Surround kits are available on ebay for $20 or so. IIRC. Anyone with these speakers has been down this road beffore, any comments on the foregoing or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

from Layne audio's website "Woofers for DQ-10, DQ-20 [possibly others]. This is actually a "Large Advent" woofer, a 10" driver in a 12" pincushion [squared off] frame. The self proclaimed "original" Dahlquist service people are charging about $130 to rebuild an old woofer with non-original parts, while we sold brand new factory replacements for $80 each. Our supply of original factory woofers has finally run out, but we have new, much improved custom replacements for $80. Overall tonal quality has been maintained as close as possible to the originals, but we had several key improvements made to the magnet system, voice coil, and suspension. The resulting woofer is a much better overall performer while maintaining the flavor of the original. "

I will need grill cloth also. Any suggestions/sources?

Thanks very much for any thoughts you might be able to share.

Dave

I just purchased a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s from a friend (Sue). Sue is the widow of a guy who at least seemed to care somewhat about audio, he had the Dahlquists and a high current NAD 3200 amp, so he had at least an inkling of the need to match an appropriate amp.

The speakers are in unrestored condition, with original stands and feet. One foam surround is shot, the other woofer is not working and I'd assume the surround is gone also. I have not verified all of the drivers, but some if not all of the other drivers are OK. Will check that.

While they are unrestored, they are not unmolested. The grill cloth was replaced by Sue's idea of something pretty, will post a pic for the amusement of all once my camera's batteries charge.

FWIW, I don't expect these to ever be my no 1 speakers. (I have B&W DM70s, Quad ESLs, and some small Mordaunt Shorts) I will either sell them or use them in my living room provided my wife can be convinced or is so otherwise alienated that it makes no difference.

Questions

I will need to deal with the woofers. I see that they can be refoamed, reconed, or replaced. I found regnar and layne audio as sources of the work, and there are local reconing shops as well (I'm near Toronto). Regnar seems to be the boutique outfit that represent themselves as the experts, and will repair woofers for $140 ea, Layne subtly poo poohs that and offers a replacement woofer $80. Surround kits are available on ebay for $20 or so. IIRC. Anyone with these speakers has been down this road beffore, any comments on the foregoing or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

from Layne audio's website "Woofers for DQ-10, DQ-20 [possibly others]. This is actually a "Large Advent" woofer, a 10" driver in a 12" pincushion [squared off] frame. The self proclaimed "original" Dahlquist service people are charging about $130 to rebuild an old woofer with non-original parts, while we sold brand new factory replacements for $80 each. Our supply of original factory woofers has finally run out, but we have new, much improved custom replacements for $80. Overall tonal quality has been maintained as close as possible to the originals, but we had several key improvements made to the magnet system, voice coil, and suspension. The resulting woofer is a much better overall performer while maintaining the flavor of the original. "

I will need grill cloth also. Any suggestions/sources?

Thanks very much for any thoughts you might be able to share.

Dave

Hi Dave;

I see there is a few business' that you should stay away from, expensive.

You can buy a pair of surrounds with glue for around $20.00.

A new woofer will sound different than the original, if you go this route.

A service person charging about $25.00 each to surround them is a bargain, if done neatly.

Hi Dave;

I see there is a few business' that you should stay away from, expensive.

You can buy a pair of surrounds with glue for around $20.00.

A new woofer will sound different than the original, if you go this route.

A service person charging about $25.00 each to surround them is a bargain, if done neatly.

Thanks Dan. I have posted some pics and stuff here.

http://www.syer.net/dahlquist.htm

the other links in this forum - schematics and such, are dead unfortunately. Do you know of any sources for tech or other info?

Thanks again, Dave

post-102822-1196046903.jpg

• 8 months later...

Have done Regnar and they performed very well. Sent them everything and they replaced and repaired or nothing, depending. Installed the recap kit my self. ( after recapping a Hammond B-3, what's a few caps )

DQ's sounds great. Helpful. Nice folks.

Archived