AR3a service in Santa Barbara or LA area

dbphd

I last used my pair of AR3a speakers decades ago, but now I want to reunite them with my Marantz Model 18, my system from 40 years ago. Yes, I've kept them all these years. Last time I used the speakers, the pots were discontinuous, and spraying the shfts with cleaner was no fix. I began searching Audio Asylum, Audiogon, and IP.Board for advice on servicing AR3a pots. After a bit of reading I conclude that if you open the box -- which I have no idea how to do -- you should replace other things as well.

Does anyone know of a source that can service an AR3a in the LA area? Santa Barbara would be even better, but more unlikely.

db

I last used my pair of AR3a speakers decades ago, but now I want to reunite them with my Marantz Model 18, my system from 40 years ago. Yes, I've kept them all these years. Last time I used the speakers, the pots were discontinuous, and spraying the shfts with cleaner was no fix. I began searching Audio Asylum, Audiogon, and IP.Board for advice on servicing AR3a pots. After a bit of reading I conclude that if you open the box -- which I have no idea how to do -- you should replace other things as well.

Does anyone know of a source that can service an AR3a in the LA area? Santa Barbara would be even better, but more unlikely.

db

Hi and welcome to the new site;

Thank you for admitting that you don't know what to do.

We are all learning here and trying to help others.

I would much rather read that, than a story of how you ripped open and replaced parts haphazardly.

Removing the grille cloths and frames is a chore in itself to do it right and not damage them.

Don't just replace dirty cloths with just any kind.

The pots are a troublesome area in all of the models, particularly the earlier Aetna-Polock pots with rockwool insulation rather than fiberglas.

Some folks do remove, disassemble and clean up the pots, using DeOxit or auto armature grease, see many tales of success in the AR section.

There is a few 15 ohm 25 watt w-w pots still in the market, Ohmite and a Chinese version, for just 2.

They each have an open rear section, un-like the original ones, which should be protected from wire and insulation contact.

I may have a suggestion regarding this in the very near future.

It is your labour of love or pay someone else for their labour to overhaul them.

The original pots are no longer available and l-pads are not the choice for most.

Replacing the caps is another common project, while the cabinet is open.

A great speaker system.

Archived