Marriage of KLH Six Woofers to Large Advent Tweeters

I am planning and accumulating components to build a set of home theater tower speakers that will consist of KLH model six woofers with Advent tweeters. Each tower will contain two Woofers and two tweeters arranged in D' Appolito fashion. The crossovers will be Advent 16 ufd version with .4 mh chokes for the woofers.

Has anyone else attempted this combination before? If so, did they find that any tweaks were needed to assure smooth crossover between the KLH Model Six Woofers and the Large Advent tweeters?

Ampex

I am planning and accumulating components to build a set of home theater tower speakers that will consist of KLH model six woofers with Advent tweeters. Each tower will contain two Woofers and two tweeters arranged in D' Appolito fashion. The crossovers will be Advent 16 ufd version with .4 mh chokes for the woofers.

Has anyone else attempted this combination before? If so, did they find that any tweaks were needed to assure smooth crossover between the KLH Model Six Woofers and the Large Advent tweeters?

Ampex

You should investigate 3rd & 4th order crossover topologies. They have been found best suited for MTM configurations to minimize lobing errors. Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook has details.

You should investigate 3rd & 4th order crossover topologies. They have been found best suited for MTM configurations to minimize lobing errors. Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook has details.

Carl,

I found an easier to use method to design crossovers on the Internet: www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

This automated calculator is suitable for use by Newbies such as me, and possibly others who consult these Great Classic Speaker Pages Forums.

Ampex

Carl,

I found an easier to use method to design crossovers on the Internet: www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

This automated calculator is suitable for use by Newbies such as me, and possibly others who consult these Great Classic Speaker Pages Forums.

Ampex

You are right. That site does make crunching the numbers easier. What it doesn't do is advise you that the 3rd order Butterworth is the topology of choice for MTM configurations. Hence my suggestion on The LSCB read. Check it out anyway and you will understand better why this is the right topology.

Archived