Wanted: Rectilinears

joelongwood

• 2 months later...
I'm looking to purchase a pair of Rectilinear bookshelf speakers, either Model Xa or XIa, for a fair price.

Thank you.

Hi,

I have a pair of Rectilinear speakers. They are at my office and I know they are either the Xa or XIa model. They are in excellent shape except one has a ring stain on top. I will verify the model tomorrow when I get to work. I live in New Jersey, not too far from Newark Airport. Does $100.00 for the pair sound fair?

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

I have a pair of Rectilinear speakers. They are at my office and I know they are either the Xa or XIa model. They are in excellent shape except one has a ring stain on top. I will verify the model tomorrow when I get to work. I live in New Jersey, not too far from Newark Airport. Does $100.00 for the pair sound fair?

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm anxious to know which model they are.........please let me know. I'm looking for the Xa in particular. As for the price, I would have to factor in the cost of shipping, because I'm not driving to NJ. If I lived closer, and they were in good shape as you say, I wouldn't hesitate to pay your asking price........but that's me. On eBay, Rectilinears (other than the large IIIs) don't seem to fetch much. I paid $13 for a pair of mint Rectilinear XI recently, and $50 for a pair if good condition Mini IIIs. So, $100 (plus a little more) including shipping to zip 11792 would be more than fair. Thanks again and let me know.

Hi Joe,

I'm anxious to know which model they are.........please let me know. I'm looking for the Xa in particular. As for the price, I would have to factor in the cost of shipping, because I'm not driving to NJ. If I lived closer, and they were in good shape as you say, I wouldn't hesitate to pay your asking price........but that's me. On eBay, Rectilinears (other than the large IIIs) don't seem to fetch much. I paid $13 for a pair of mint Rectilinear XI recently, and $50 for a pair if good condition Mini IIIs. So, $100 (plus a little more) including shipping to zip 11792 would be more than fair. Thanks again and let me know.

Hi,

I took a look at my Rectlilinears. They are Model XIa. I had them stored in my dry basement at the office with some other vintage speakers. I had them on a double layer of new berber carpet on the floor. When I picked them up I was floored. Moisture came through the carpet to the bottom of the speakers and caused mildew. It also slightly separated a joint on one of the speakers. I am sick over this, I am extremely particular with my gear and never expected this to happen. In fact two other pairs of speakers were not effected as badly. The Rectilinears have a natural dry hand rubbed finish, whereas the other speakers had a shellac finish which protected them. I hooked them up and they still sound fantastic and look exactly the same when sitting on the floor or a stand. The mildew will clean up and I'm sure the separation can be filled or will draw back in. Let me know if you are still interested.

Joe

Hi,

I took a look at my Rectlilinears. They are Model XIa. I had them stored in my dry basement at the office with some other vintage speakers. I had them on a double layer of new berber carpet on the floor. When I picked them up I was floored. Moisture came through the carpet to the bottom of the speakers and caused mildew. It also slightly separated a joint on one of the speakers. I am sick over this, I am extremely particular with my gear and never expected this to happen. In fact two other pairs of speakers were not effected as badly. The Rectilinears have a natural dry hand rubbed finish, whereas the other speakers had a shellac finish which protected them. I hooked them up and they still sound fantastic and look exactly the same when sitting on the floor or a stand. The mildew will clean up and I'm sure the separation can be filled or will draw back in. Let me know if you are still interested.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for checking them out, and I'm sorry to hear what happened. If they were the Xa model, I wouldn't hesitate to get them, as the X and the Xa were billed as the "world's fastest bookshelf speakers," and I would love to hear a pair. But since I have the XI already, and the XIa was basically the same speaker with a bit of crossover tweaking, I'll have to pass. But you should restore them and keep them.......they're excellent speakers.

Bob (aka joelongwood)

Hi Joe,

Thanks for checking them out, and I'm sorry to hear what happened. If they were the Xa model, I wouldn't hesitate to get them, as the X and the Xa were billed as the "world's fastest bookshelf speakers," and I would love to hear a pair. But since I have the XI already, and the XIa was basically the same speaker with a bit of crossover tweaking, I'll have to pass. But you should restore them and keep them.......they're excellent speakers.

Bob (aka joelongwood)

Bob,

Thank you for the info. I did not know about the crossover change in the XIa. Sorry I did not have the Xa model for you. These do sound wonderful with my vintage Scott 299 and Eico Hf-81 integrateds. I just have too many great speakers and not enough rooms in my house!

Regards,

Joe

Archived