Dynaco Clone

Guest JRP001

I was curious to learn if anyone has built a Dyanco A25 clone using the new drivers that Madisound sells as replacements. With the plans for these readily available along with the new drivers, I feel that getting a new speaker for the same price as a thirty year old model might be preferable. It seems that those offered on eBay that are decent sell for $200 or more with shipping.

The drivers from Madisound run about $150.00 per speaker with shipping. With a sheet of MDF running $20 and another $30 for crossover parts, I could have a well built version of the A25 with brand new drivers for $200/pair. I just wanted to toss this out for the forum members opinions.

TIA,

Jim

I was curious to learn if anyone has built a Dyanco A25 clone using the new drivers that Madisound sells as replacements. With the plans for these readily available along with the new drivers, I feel that getting a new speaker for the same price as a thirty year old model might be preferable. It seems that those offered on eBay that are decent sell for $200 or more with shipping.

The drivers from Madisound run about $150.00 per speaker with shipping. With a sheet of MDF running $20 and another $30 for crossover parts, I could have a well built version of the A25 with brand new drivers for $200/pair. I just wanted to toss this out for the forum members opinions.

TIA,

Jim

Hi Jim;

Good question.

Recently someone else brought this up and there was a link given to a site somewhere else and the kit was drafted out with all of the parts.

The finished product looked very nice, pricey as I remember, though.

Sadly, I had a virus or something delete many hundreds of my email, so I do not know any more about that kit.

Until someone here that owns Dynaco A-2 5's reports on the sonic differences between this kit and the originals, we cannot assume that they sound anything alike.

There again Seas or Scan versions?

Also will that listener like the newer speaker sound?

Myself, I see Dynaco A-25's going for about $50.00 each US plus S&H on an average.

A few scratches or chips cannot be heard.

Yes, some have sold for out of sight prices too.

If one has the money, time and energy to try to create a new version from scratch , good luck.

We all have some leisure time to fiddle around with our toys.

Unfortunately, without the necessary tools, table saw or radial arm saw, and router (for the lockmitre), etc, it can be a longterm project.

Yes, most tools can be rented.

The walnut or other veneering can be bought already applied to 3/4" walnut plywood, expensive though.

The veneers can also be bought separately and applied, there again, expensive.

Matching of the veneer patterns is possible though.

Mirror image speakers, veneers and drivers can be created.

The insulation would need to be calculated for proper internal capacity.

The vent opening and it's insulation is critical.

If one wants to, you could use a larger or smaller number of steps for the resisitors or even go to a pot for tweeter level control.

I couldn't estimate the labour time involved but it would be a labour of love, for sure.

In regards to buying used Dynaco speakers, the tweeters seem to outlast the woofers by a million years, ok, a long, long time.

The woofers are another story, they can be almost as good as the day they were made, BUT, if they were overloaded, the voice coil form can be discoloured and burnt.

Generally speaking, if they were slightly abused, you may hear a small buzz from the woofer during quieter bass notes.

This issue may be troubleshot by us, but otherwise, assume the woofer is a goner.

If they were really abused, they may blatt, blatt, sound reall muffled or not work at all.

Barring neither of the above, they may last you another lifetime, with fuses and cautious use.

Good luck with your choices.

Back again;

I forgot to stress about buying used Dynaco speakers.

Be certain they are matched!

Mirror imaged speaker drivers, of any version, should not be an issue, in my opinion.

There is Seas and Scan and also XL.

The XL came along later and is more efficient, louder, than the original.

This photo is of a pair of A-25's being offered on ebay as I write this.

The original Danish A-25 is on the right and the XL, which is USA made, on the left.

In practice the left XL version should be about, 3 db or double, louder, if in monophonic.

Also, without confirmation from a reliable member, the difference between Scan and Seas speakers should not be over-looked either.

post-101040-1194920699.jpg

At the present time, I am completely enjoying the sound from my A25's. When I was disassembling the blown woofer (have pictures I need to post) I realized that the materials used in the woofers construction suffered the test of time and were quite brittle. Since this is the first commercial speaker that I have ever purchased in over 30+ years of music appreciation, I am curious as to whether their sound can be duplicated using modern drivers. I may have to try this because I want to keep this sound around for a long, long time. I keep the forum infromed as to what I choose to do.

At the present time, I am completely enjoying the sound from my A25's. When I was disassembling the blown woofer (have pictures I need to post) I realized that the materials used in the woofers construction suffered the test of time and were quite brittle. Since this is the first commercial speaker that I have ever purchased in over 30+ years of music appreciation, I am curious as to whether their sound can be duplicated using modern drivers. I may have to try this because I want to keep this sound around for a long, long time. I keep the forum infromed as to what I choose to do.

Hi again;

I do not feel that you can duplicate the muted, dull sounding, bass lacking but wonderfully clear, A-25's with modern components.

I am joking of course, about the sound.

That sound is why we liked the A-25's so much and still do.

If the sound of the Dyanco A-25 was easy to duplicate and sell and make a buck with, it would have been done decades ago by someone else.

Even with robotics the cabinets would still be quite expensive to produce and ship.

The A-25 would not sell well today on the free open market, not at the current year equivalent pricing of maybe $300 - $400.00+ each.

If under $100.00, who knows?

Today's customers are sold brighter sounding and bass lighter, whether it is more or less distortion or not is anyones guess, but it sells.

Particulary with home theater systems.

If Dynaco was to start up today and create the A-25 all over again, they quite likely would not sell many, or at least not enough to keep their doors open.

The potential of re-surrecting Allison Acoustics might be a more current example.

I have only heard one or 2 Allison speakers, ever.

They did and do have their following but there is no $59.95 low cost, best buy speaker in their current or past product line.

To manufacture such a low cost speaker today is just about impossible and still make money.

Certainly it cannot be made in the USA.

I think that the projected speaker prices were in the thousand dollar range and up.

With Allison not going ahead at this time, at least, we may not see another Allison product being produced.

I was hoping for a successful re-start, even if I won't be buying any new speakers in the future.

If you have the time, money, tools and interest, you can still have fun trying to build an equivalent sounding speaker system from components.

From the looks of it, I think that someone is already doing what I am planning. (See link below). The drivers in these speakers are the same ones that Madisound sells as A25 replacements. At $700/pair it will be interesting to see if the market is willing to support their offering.

http://www.tektondesign.com/aurala-25.htm

Hi again;

The link you just posted is interesting.

Irregardless of what I say, someone here is going to buy them.

For $700.00, I'll buy a good number of scratched up A-25's first.

Likely the speakers mentioned will not sound too close to the original A-25's.

The sound output has been altered at different frquencies, higher efficiency, extended highs.

Whether or not an owner of an original Seas or Scan A-25's speaker system, may or may not like the new sound, remains to be read about, here.

The kit I was mentioning in a earlier write-up is a sight for sore eyes.

It also needs to be reviewed by a member or two here.

I also need to relate that these are 2007 prices not 1975.

Archived