Over 40 posting's

dynaco_dan

Hi there;

After some suggesting by some members for a Dynaco forum, I see that there is now 40+ topics.

It is nice to see an interest in another old classic east coast hifi product line, which included electroncs, as well.

The speakers, both Seas and Scan, have had quite a bit of information come forward, that's nice.

Perhaps we can start a library in the future for archival information.

I've been restoring the cabinets of old Dynacos for just over a year and am interested in any information folks might have about them. I'm curious as to whether the "red baffle" SEAS Dynaco A-25s came out before or after the usual grey/black baffle A-25s. Also, I've refinished one SEAS pair that had the "roundie" woofers instead of the usual "star" woofers. When were the "roundies" around? The Scanspeak Dynacos were the earliest, with the port above the tweeter. All sound similar to me, but I'd be interested to hear whether others perceive differences between the various A-25 versions.

Best,

Horse

You asked for a simple answer, I do hope this is somewhat informative for you, at least for the time being.

>I've been restoring the cabinets of old Dynacos for just over

>a year and am interested in any information folks might have

>about them.

Mark will be doing a cleanup and re-arranging of this site in July.

One of the archival sheets I would very much like to see, posted in the AR library, along side of speaker fusing, etc, is the original, AR speaker cabinet re-finishing techniques, for all AR speaker finishes, which are also valid for other brands as well.

I posted it a while ago and it is buried deep and I have been having problems finding a few back items.

I'm curious as to whether the "red

>baffle" SEAS Dynaco A-25s came out before or after the

>usual grey/black baffle A-25s.

I have personally never read any manufacturers, or former employee's data regarding, cabinet front or rear colour differences why or when, changes from Scan-Speak to Seas for drivers why and/or when, 2 different vent location's why and/or when, mirror image tweeters why and/or when, etc..

Other un-known information on the different internal baffle locations for the A-35 and A-50 speaker systems.

Also, I've refinished one SEAS

>pair that had the "roundie" woofers instead of the

>usual "star" woofers. When were the

>"roundies" around?

Previously I would have told you the round perimeter is a Scan woofer and the horned woofer is a Seas, but I have round Seas also.

I will doing some write-ups in the future regarding, the round versus the horned, woofers.

I have a small collection of Dynaco drivers, there is round, horned, even different magnets, etc.

The Scanspeak Dynacos were the

>earliest, with the port above the tweeter.

I have not seen any data from the manufacturers of the Scan-Speak Dynaco A-25 speakers.

I worked at the local Dynaco warantee depot about the early '70's.

At our local hangout stereo store, I saw through the grille cloth, the vent was above the tweeter.

The warantee depot did not have this information back then.

All warantee replacement woofers and tweeters were only made by Seas, at least at the warantee depot in Vancouver.

The only pain in the butt was, a small pain mind you, when a woofer needed replaced in a Scan-Speak speaker version equipped woofer, round perimeter, the replacement woofer had horns.

We knotched the cabinet out for the horns, to allow the Seas frame to sit right down into the recess for a good seal.

All sound similar

>to me, but I'd be interested to hear whether others perceive

>differences between the various A-25 versions.

I have a pair of Scan and Seas Dynaco A-25's.

I hope to find some listening time soon to offer an opinion as to the sound differences.

>

>Best,

>

>Horse

>

Hi Colin;

You asked some very good questions.

I do hope that someone else knows the answers.

I will try one at a time to answer.

The only way we can compile the dates is, either with the serial number, or dates of the speaker magnets.

Date codes are read, left to right.

The first two digits are the model number, 3rd digit is the year and the 4th and 5th digits are the week of manufacturer.

Perhaps there is a person here that would like to keep track of the various models, and changes, an historian, if you will.

For privacy reason's, too many WAF un-reported speakers being the very most important reason, some may not want to provide the following information.

Model number and serial number (XX-XXXXXX), finish of cabinet, walnut, vinyl, teak, colour of front and back of cabinets, tweeter and woofer information, taken off of the paper label on the magnets and possibly a photo of the crossover and the speaker cabinet and all drivers if possible.

This may be too much for everyone to handle all at once but I would be happy to volunteer to amass this data, unless there is someone else interested.

For privacy purposes the identity of the owner's would not be available to anyone else, unless they are requested and accept personal email contact.

We do not want to emabarass anyone, who may not have stacked Dynaco A-25's but quads per channel. LOL LOL

This data would be for all of the classic Dynaco speakers, A-10, A-25, A-35, A-50, A-25XL, A-35XL, and whatever model everyone wants beyond that.

I would use a spreadsheet, Excel format, nothing fancy.

I believe that there is presently several AR forum members doing this for AR speakers, at least.

I haven't seen anything from that collection as yet, or how it is tallied.

To add to all of this confusion with the A-25's, which version's were being reviewed, (Sterophile for one), when the speaker's grille cloths were not removed?

Could a reviewer unknowlingly have tested a mixed pair, such as I've seen for sale on eBay?

I only remember seeing Seas version's in those photos of Dynaco literature at least.

Model number's were not changed for the different versions of, at least the A-25's, that I can tell.

You asked do they sound similar, I do not think Dynaco would have chosen a different looking driver system, unless they (sounded!!!) identical, at least, to us.

We shall see about this in the near future and I do hope there is others that can do an A - B test as well.

• 3 weeks later...

>

>Hi Colin;

>

>You asked some very good questions.

>

>I do hope that someone else knows the answers.

>

>I will try one at a time to answer.

>

>The only way we can compile the dates is, either with the

>serial number, or dates of the speaker magnets.

>

>Date codes are read, left to right.

>

>The first two digits are the model number, 3rd digit is the

>year and the 4th and 5th digits are the week of manufacturer.

>

>Perhaps there is a person here that would like to keep track

>of the various models, and changes, an historian, if you

>will.

>

>For privacy reason's, too many WAF un-reported speakers being

>the very most important reason, some may not want to provide

>the following information.

>

>Model number and serial number (XX-XXXXXX), finish of cabinet,

>walnut, vinyl, teak, colour of front and back of cabinets,

>tweeter and woofer information, taken off of the paper label

>on the magnets and possibly a photo of the crossover and the

>speaker cabinet and all drivers if possible.

>

>This may be too much for everyone to handle all at once but I

>would be happy to volunteer to amass this data, unless there

>is someone else interested.

>

I have had several hundred requests from members to go ahead with this idea of cataloging.

Welllllll, the truth is, actually not one comment came forth, so I assume that my idea is, at least for the time being, shot down.

>

>

>For privacy purposes the identity of the owner's would not be

>available to anyone else, unless they are requested and accept

>personal email contact.

>

>We do not want to emabarass anyone, who may not have stacked

>Dynaco A-25's but quads per channel. LOL LOL

>

>This data would be for all of the classic Dynaco speakers,

>A-10, A-25, A-35, A-50, A-25XL, A-35XL, and whatever model

>everyone wants beyond that.

>

>I would use a spreadsheet, Excel format, nothing fancy.

>

• 2 months later...
Guest feelstranger

Hello folks,

New here. Thought this as good a post as any to post some info, and ask some questions.

I have 2 pair of A-25s. One pair purchased by my Uncle in '70 -'71. and another of unknown history.

Surprise, they are not the same! Pictures added to illustrate.

The pair from my Uncle are:

Black faced, "raw wood" rear. Tweeter on the right of cabinet.

everything has a white label with numbers on it - crossover, cabinet, both drivers.

Seas drivers also have red printed 5 digit serial numbers. Woofer is 25 TV-EW - don't have the number handy and the picture is not clear enough.

Do not have Made in Denmark printed on rear, but numbered 19B327009 on the selector/terminal plate.

5 position treble selector and 1.5 in tweeter.

The unknown pair is:

Red (or brown) faced, and backed. Tweeters on the left of cabinet.

Seas 25 TV-EW woofer with black printed serial numbers - only 4 digits (70 26)

"Made in Denmark" printed on terminal plate.

A small label on the rear of one cabinet shows "736288"

The driver holes are not beveled, and the drivers are not set as deep in the face as the black faced pair.

So, That's what I know.

Can anyone tell me anything about the 4 digit serial number on the red faced pair?

Is the red pair older?

If you were going to choose one par to keep, which would it be???

Why???

I have more pictures if anyone wants to see more.

Thanks!

Nat

2698.txt

post-102692-1189701532.jpg

post-20-1189701532.jpg

post-20-1189701533.jpg

post-20-1189701534.jpg

post-20-1189701535.jpg

post-20-1189701536.jpg

• 2 months later...
The pair from my Uncle are:

Black faced, "raw wood" rear. Tweeter on the right of cabinet.

everything has a white label with numbers on it - crossover, cabinet, both drivers.

Seas drivers also have red printed 5 digit serial numbers. Woofer is 25 TV-EW - don't have the number handy and the picture is not clear enough.

Do not have Made in Denmark printed on rear, but numbered 19B327009 on the selector/terminal plate.

This would indicate a manufacturing date of, 1973 and the 27th week of production.

5 position treble selector and 1.5 in tweeter.

The unknown pair is:

Red (or brown) faced, and backed. Tweeters on the left of cabinet.

Seas 25 TV-EW woofer with black printed serial numbers - only 4 digits (70 26)

The (70 26) is the year and week of production.

The speaker's serial number on the paper label on the speakers rear, will likely be around 19-026xxx.

"Made in Denmark" printed on terminal plate.

A small label on the rear of one cabinet shows "736288"

The driver holes are not beveled, and the drivers are not set as deep in the face as the black faced pair.

So, That's what I know.

Can anyone tell me anything about the 4 digit serial number on the red faced pair?

Is the red pair older?

If you were going to choose one par to keep, which would it be???

No complete history records here yet of the various differences in Dynaco A-25's.

Scan or Seas drivers, vent opening above the tweeter and below the woofer, mirror image drivers, 2 different tweeter level switches, red, or natural finished cabinetry and chromed versus black screws.

Scan drivers with their round perimeter and Seas with their round perimeter, then Seas with the horned woofers.

There is even several different woofer magnet sizes.

I'll post photos of these in the near future.

Why???

We will be unravelling this as time goes by.

I have more pictures if anyone wants to see more.

Thanks!

Nat

Archived