Post your Dynaco speaker link

Guest vintfan

Hi there;

Thank you for posting these photos.

Very interesting seeing this, un-known speaker, pop-up out of nowhere.

The A-25X is the first of it's kind that I ever heard about or saw, thank you.

Could you please re-shoot the label again, up closer, please.

I see what appears to be German or Dutch writing, maybe?

Maybe this was a European version?

Seas or Scan drivers?

Five position switch?

If you were to remove the tweeter or woofer, there will very likely be their consistant date of manufacture on paper labels on their magnets.

Thank you again for the photos.

Guest vintfan

Hi Vern. Unforunately, although I would have liked to hear them, I don't have access to the speakers I posted. Here's what I could gather from the label on the photo of the A25X model. Looks similar to the first Dynaco model (A25) made available in NorthAm.

A25X

Specifications:

H 29"

W 11.5"

D 10"

Volume 25 liters

Weight 19lbs/9kg

Freq Range 32-20000 cycles (is it possible this low?)

Power rating 35 W

Musical Power ?? W

Sensitivity ?? dB at 1W

Impedance 8 ohms

This same info is repeated in different languages and conversion

Hi there,

Regarding the A45x, I have seen this speakers cabinet front before, probably on ebay, long ago.

With the 2 vents it may be a double A-25 bass, with the single tweeter only.

Sort of looks like an A-50 except for the vents.

Thank you for re-posting the photo.

Are you able to re-take the large label photo again?

If not, are you able to print out the type as best as you can.

We do have a universal collection of worldwide members and surely someone is able to translate whatever you print.

Thank you again.

There's a pair of these A-45Xs currently on Ebay. I'm half tempted to bid. The cabinets look like they need work, and that's what I do. But would I be stuck with them forever? I wonder what they sound like. A Dynaco A-25 with deeper bass extension would be great. Were these available in Europe only? Greg Dunn doesn't mention them, does he? I had never heard of them.

--Colin (Horse)

>There's a pair of these A-45Xs currently on Ebay. I'm half

>tempted to bid. The cabinets look like they need work, and

>that's what I do. But would I be stuck with them forever? I

>wonder what they sound like. A Dynaco A-25 with deeper bass

>extension would be great. Were these available in Europe only?

>Greg Dunn doesn't mention them, does he? I had never heard of

>them.

>

>--Colin (Horse)

>

>

Hi Colin;

I notice that the seller referred to the woofers as, 8" woofers.

They may have been measured incorrectly, but, there was more than one size Seas and Scan woofer manufactured and not just for Dynaco.

There is the standard 10" woofers used in the A-25, A-35 and the A-50 and 6" used in the A-10, as we know it.

My assumption is that he measured the woofers incorrectly. The speakers look like they have the early Scanspeak tweeters but the woofers look more like the SEAS drivers of post-1969 A-25s. A Google search yielded NOTHING! If they're really 14 inches deep, would the internal volume be close to that of A-50s? I didn't do the calculations (should just get out my calculator). I'm half-tempted to bid, but the seller didn't respond to my inquiries. Were these things available only in Europe?

Guest vintfan

Hi Colin,

If this can be of any help...I've got a pair of early A-25's with ScanSpeak drivers that I just measured. Outside dimensions for the tweeter is 4.25" and the woofer 10", making the tweeter 42.5% the size of the woofer. Measuring off the computer monitor yields the same ratio, effectively making the woofers of the A45X you're looking at on ebay 10". However, if you take a close look at those, you'll notice that they later SEAS woofers and not the early ScanSpeak that should be in with this type of tweeter and vent grill. Moreover, upon closer examination, you will also notice that the woofers are held in place by screws on the outside of the ring and that they are off center. This could be all trivial but leading me to believe they are not all original.

Rgds,

Sylvain

>Hi Colin,

>

>If this can be of any help...I've got a pair of early A-25's

>with ScanSpeak drivers that I just measured. Outside

>dimensions for the tweeter is 4.25" and the woofer

>10", making the tweeter 42.5% the size of the woofer.

>Measuring off the computer monitor yields the same ratio,

>effectively making the woofers of the A45X you're looking at

>on ebay 10". However, if you take a close look at those,

>you'll notice that they later SEAS woofers and not the early

>ScanSpeak that should be in with this type of tweeter and vent

>grill. Moreover, upon closer examination, you will also

>notice that the woofers are held in place by screws on the

>outside of the ring and that they are off center. This could

>be all trivial but leading me to believe they are not all

>original.

>

>Rgds,

>Sylvain

Hi Sylvain;

You must be a detective. lol

I see now that the woofers are held in place by the screws being against the outer round perimeter rather than through the drivers screw holes.

Having replaced the round Scan woofers with the warantee replacement Seas (horned) woofers, it was necessary to chisel a knotch for the horns to allow the woofers to sit fully against the recessed cutout.

I do not have the hole to hole center diameter measurement.

If there was Scan drivers originally, there may not be enough wood left after they routered out for the Scan or Seas woofers.

I just got up off my duff and measured two samples that I was able to find.

Sample 1 - 8 ohms (3374) Seas round perimeter 8 screw holes c-c across the frame 9 7/8", overall frame diameter 10 9/16", 3 1/2" dia magnet, Seas name molded on rubber surround.

Sample 2 - 8 ohms Seas (paper label and stamped into rear plate, horned 6 screw hole woofer, 2 3/8" diameter magnet, across cone diameter holes c-c 10 1/16", overall distance tip of one horn to opposite tip, 10 9/16".

I have, somewhere, Scan samples, but that is for another time.

I would appear that the two woofers in that auction are not original, as in woofers that were installed at the Dynaco factory, only from the screw mounting issue.

They may not even be Dynaco OEM woofers.

Unfortunately when you have particle board it is often the case that the screw holes are stripped very easily and the manufacturers suggested turning them slightly and starting a new hole.

Do this enough times and there is no longer a screwing surface.

Only the winner of that auction will get the privelege of finding out what the true story is.

Other manufacturers also used Seas drivers back then, which even had a different impedance rating.

These will need to be the 15 ohm version woofers in this cabinet for it to be an 8 ohm system.

The tweeter is the only tweeter ever used by Dyanco, an 8 ohm version, but of differing variations as well.

It will be interesting to find out more of the history of this orphan speaker system.

I do hope that a member of CSP will buy them and write-up here about them.

If they were $24.99 including shipping I would buy them too.

I just went back to have another looksee.

The tweeter is a, Scan tweeter, with 3 screws, not a Seas version with 8 screw holes.

Scan used expanded metal screens and Seas used a wire mesh.

Now I feel that these speakers may have had Scan woofers in them at the factory at one time.

Scan woofers may be even larger in frame diameter and also may have a larger hole opening allowing only for the improper screw mounting.

We shall see.

Dang it! I could absorb the loss, but my place is too small for me to be stuck with speakers I can't eventually move along, and I wouldn't sell something I wouldn't be proud to own. I hadn't noticed the screw issue, though I had noticed the mismatch between the Scanspeak and the (apparently) SEAS woofers. What the heck is the history of these speakers (both in general and this pair)? I had not known A-45XLs ever existed until a few days ago. I think there's a bid on them. Maybe I'll try to contact the winner. Some Ebay folks enjoy audiophile discussions. Others don't.

--Horse

>Dang it! I could absorb the loss, but my place is too small

>for me to be stuck with speakers I can't eventually move

>along, and I wouldn't sell something I wouldn't be proud to

>own. I hadn't noticed the screw issue, though I had noticed

>the mismatch between the Scanspeak and the (apparently) SEAS

>woofers. What the heck is the history of these speakers (both

>in general and this pair)? I had not known A-45XLs ever

>existed until a few days ago. I think there's a bid on them.

>Maybe I'll try to contact the winner. Some Ebay folks enjoy

>audiophile discussions. Others don't.

>

>--Horse

>

>

Hi there;

With the woodscrew issue, maybe the person that screwed the woofers into the cabinet did not even try to do it correctly.

Moreso, I feel there is not enough of a flange to screw to.

My other idea is, that you would need to buy 4 Scan woofers to fill in the mounting holes correctly.

If I knew where my Scan woofers were, I could measure them to see if that is the problem.

I have not seen many Scan raw woofers being listed on ebay over the years, a few tweeters here and there, yes.

I am certain that more history will come along regarding these orphan speakers in the future, as new members come on board.

Sure is an interesting looking speaker, to say the least.

• 1 year later...
The A-25X is the first of it's kind that I ever heard about or saw, thank you.

Maybe this was a European version?

Seas or Scan drivers?

This A-25 is definetely and easy to see typical ScanSpeak Drivers. The ScanSpeak Tweeter has the typical Plastic-Ring around (see pic, whre it is shown without the plastic cover) .

The Woofers also look very typical, different dustcap and the color wires to voicecoil.

Helge

post-102914-1200083959.jpg

Second attemps for the A-45X model

Hi

Ha - took me a year to find you but I did.... - anybody ever heard the word "copyright"?

post-102033-1160522399.jpg

I signed up in here today, and just after 5 minutes i find without ANY reference to the source a photograph (taken by and copyrighted by me) showing MY A-45x.

Probably hijacked from www.Hifi-forum.de

I am not really :D, but giving a reference of the source and to ask me is minimum i guess... i would like to kick somebody's lazy ass ;)

To introduce them:

They are ScanDyna Branded ScanSpeak driven A-45x, and they are MY :P front-Speakers in my System

Some facts:

@VintFan et al: Nope, it's sure not A-25-Woofers, its 8" ScanSpeak woofers and they really look TYPICAL for that, oooh, they would be B I G with two 10"ers inside...

Yes, there were different versions in this kind of cabs, there was also a SEAS Driven Version, I know one guy in Finland having the SEAS Version, a guy in USA has a set that any idiot mix up, originally ScanSpeak driven, but when he unpacked the boxes he found one with a SEAS Tweeter an on with SEAS Woofers NOT fitting into the cutouts... :D ,´...Horror.

There is a third variation I have seen with an Mid-Speaker added (original?) and the vents in a different position in Switzerland...

The ScanSpeak Tweeters have btw not 3 screws, they have 6 srew holes, only the Plastic coverring has 3 Screws.

Anybody feel free to come over for a beer to listen to the A-45x with ST-70 or ST-400!

Helge (Dynacophil)

Archived