Snell J III Crossover wiring

Guest carrington

Guest carrington

Hi Gents;

I hope there is still some activity on this forum. It seems to be pretty quiet... Anyway, I finally got a pair of JIII's after wanting a pair of Snells for many years . I really wanted E II's but I haven't seen any of those on sale for a while (w/o having to ship them halfway across the country) but this is what I have for now. So, the guy that I purchased them from had refoamed them (nicely on one speaker, not so nicely on the other) and listening to them I'm not sure he reconnected the wiring correctly. I was odd, when I was listening to them it sounded like the imaging was outside of the speakers on both sides, not inside. I didn't think that it was one woofer that was wired incorrectly but perhaps both, or both tweeters. I can't tell. So I rewired the woofers, listened to that, then reversed the phase on the speaker inputs thinking that it might have been the tweeters instead. Now I'm not sure anymore. I think the imaging was probably better to start out with but I think the speakers sound a little warmer now - I'm not sure though. So, anyone know what the correct wiring is on these?

Thanks for any replies ahead to time.

Regards,

Carrington

I've studied the crossovers on the EII and JII and can't imagine the JIII is significantly different relative to phase. In both cases the plus inputs go the the plus side of the woofer AND tweeter.

The best way to check phase is with a test CD. They can be had from Stereophile Magazine. It's one of a standard battery of speaker tests.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Archived