Snell E type II

Guest gonzo

Hi everyone, New guy here. I have a pair of these beautiful speakers I picked up. They need new surrounds. I have never rebuilt a x-over. Is this too big a job for a rank amateur. Or any suggestions on which caps to replace and with what brand. I have never heard these speakers but from what everyone says they are really good. Thanks

>Hi everyone, New guy here. I have a pair of these

>beautiful speakers I picked up. They need new surrounds. I

>have never rebuilt a x-over. Is this too big a job for a rank

>amateur. Or any suggestions on which caps to replace and with

>what brand. I have never heard these speakers but from what

>everyone says they are really good. Thanks

I'm refoaming 2 EII's now for a guy in Indiana. Drop me a line if you need my services.

Regarding the xover caps, these Snells could use something good like Kimber Kap, AudioCap (both Parts Express) or Hovland Musicap (Madisound). Only need to do the ones in seres with the non-woofer drivers.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

• 1 year later...
Guest stackowax

Carl,

In looking at your photos of the Type A xover rebuild, I noticed you replaced the original resistors. On my EIIs the original resistors in the tweeter network are rated at 25W. It is very hard to find wire-wound non-inductive resistors rated this high. Do you think its necessary to use a resistor of equivalent rating (I was thinking of using Mills MRA-12s which are wire wound non-inductives rated at 12 watt. I suppose I could double the resistance and use two in parallel; just don't know if it would be necessary).

J

>Hi everyone, New guy here. I have a pair of these

>beautiful speakers I picked up. They need new surrounds. I

>have never rebuilt a x-over. Is this too big a job for a rank

>amateur. Or any suggestions on which caps to replace and with

>what brand. I have never heard these speakers but from what

>everyone says they are really good. Thanks

I'm refoaming 2 EII's now for a guy in Indiana. Drop me a line if you need my services.

Regarding the xover caps, these Snells could use something good like Kimber Kap, AudioCap (both Parts Express) or Hovland Musicap (Madisound). Only need to do the ones in seres with the non-woofer drivers.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Archived