Snell J/II or J/III

Guest js01

The back of the speaker states that it is a J/III but its dimensions seem to match the J/II. Does anyone know anything about this?

Second does anyone have any experience with reconing this speaker? Does it work or should I purchase the driver replacements from snell?

>The back of the speaker states that it is a J/III but its

>dimensions seem to match the J/II. Does anyone know anything

>about this?

>

>Second does anyone have any experience with reconing this

>speaker? Does it work or should I purchase the driver

>replacements from snell?

>

I've refoamed Snell 8" woofers. Are you sure a refoam isn't all that's needed?

The JII is 23X13X10. The JIII is 30.5X15.5X12.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dake13

>Second does anyone have any experience with reconing this

>speaker? Does it work or should I purchase the driver

>replacements from snell?

>

If it's just the surrounds, you don't need to do a full reconing. I have a pair of JIIs that had creases in the drivers, and I had to have them reconed. They sound pretty good. If it's just the surrounds, I wouldn't bother with the factory replacements - just have them refoamed by Carl or someone else (but don't do it yourself - imho). I think a reconing is much more liable to mess with the sound than a refoaming. If budget is a concern, however, either one is worth a try.

Dake

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Arcadian

>The back of the speaker states that it is a J/III but its

>dimensions seem to match the J/II. Does anyone know anything

>about this?

Odd, mine are too... purchased in 1992:

SN's 45539 & 45540.

TYPE J/III

Depth: 9 3/16" Width: 13" Height: 23"

Anyone interested in them? (from North Carolina) I've recently moved and I can't use them anymore. I will miss my old set-up: B & K Components and Snell speakers... good times.

• 1 month later...
Guest pepperdog

Remember Snell also sends replacement x-over components with the new woofers so that they match each other to .01 db.

As for re-foaming, I'd get the surrounds from Snell, or ask them if a good aftermarket surround is available that approximates the roll size and roll thickness of the surround so that the woofers will perform the same, and have the same compliance when mounted in the boxes.

Remember, the box was enginered to work with the drivers (and vice versa) to achieve the sound quality and performance (voice) Snell wanted. The wrong surrounds will ruin the dynamics and sonic character of the speaker, and Snell uses somewhat thin and flexible woofer surrounds.

If you love the speakers and want to keep them sounding the same as they did before I'd go the Snell route to either have the factory do the re-foam, or buy new woofers.

If you really do need re-coning instead of re-foaming, just buy new woofers unless the design has changed. I know that Snell may not be keeping series 3 and older parts in inventory for much longer..this includes woofers and tweters etc.

Archived