Electrically conductive glue

Hi there;

It's very frustrating writing about something here and never ever being able to find it again.

I had written a follow-up regarding the electrically conductive glue that Ken Kantor, thank you Ken, had located at another site.

I do believe that I had asked for Ken's assistance to locate it the first time, but I lost it again. DUH!

I though better of it this time and chose a more accurate topic title.

I bought some and was going to write here, and at that site, of my experiences.

There was recently a member here that was asking about it and my review.

The evening that I first received the glue I tried about 6 different experiments.

What I was really aiming for was, specifically, was for the extention of the aluminum voice coil, AR driver leads, to a more readily available and flexible copper lead.

To be exact, using and adding copper wire de-soldering braid.

I tested my trials the following evening.

This is definitely not my final review but just a comment.

The aluminum tweeter driver leads are fragile and break very easily, so I was looking at the fine copper braiding being gently wound a few wraps around the cleaned end of the aluminum wire and glued.

I had no great expectations of wrapping copper to copper and glueing and not having any electrical continuity.

What I was hoping for, and expecting, was, with the slightest of gaps between the wires and applying a mixed amount of the glue, I would also have continuity.

I was not successful with that attempt.

There was not a large gap but there was no continuity either.

This was tested with a pair of Beckman digital VOM's with a .001+/- ohm tolerance.

I will need to try something else.

There was no electrical continuity of the glue itself, short of touching the meter leads together.

When I do my final write-up, I will also post photos of the packaging.

Basicly it is a vial of black liquid, water based glue, with carbon powder or carbon dust as the conductor material, which must be well stirred.

I also have not found any aluminum wire to experiment with, at least, not thus far.

The usual flexible wire leads used from a woofer's solder terminal, to it's cone, is itself called, "tinsel lead".

Vern,

Good contact between the wires is a must, for sure. The way the glue works will not allow conduction across even a small gap. If the wires are pressed together while the glue sets, I find I can readily achieve a contact resistance below 0.5 Ohms. And, the contact resistance seems to drop after a few minutes of current flow.

It's strange stuff, and you can't use it like solder, but it can work.

-k

www.kenkantor.com

• 1 month later...
Hi Ken;

Thank you for your comments.

I guess I was hoping for a small miracle with it.

Until I can find a piece of aluminum wire to try for this experiment,

I'll just leave Ken's suggestion as the best advice to date.

Back again;

I've given up on this project.

The best comment I can make is, it is glue and that is all.

I was really dreaming that this would be a great repair adhesive for the aluminum to copper wire extentions for older AR drivers.

If an aluminum wire was broken short, then an add-on flexible copper wire would be adaptable with not much effort.

Anticipating a wrap around connection, with no physical contact by a hairs breath only, would not work in my experiments.

I can confirm it will work only as a glue in this application.

A positive contact between cleaned materials is needed.

As far as it being electrically conductive, I find no proof of this with my simple tests.

Unless someone else has a suggestion for another simple test.

Please remember that I tested at a low .001 ohms resistance without any positive results.

I will attempt to test the, "silver conductive glue", being sold in a two part glue set, for use in circuit board copper trace repairs.

Archived