A new mod to argue about

I think we've beaten the capacitor debate to death and at this point feel we need to divert our attention to a new tweak/mod I discovered which may have application to those who have fused their classic speakers in an effort to protect there drivers from damage.

Behold the 'AUDIO GRADE FUSE'. Apparently there are a few sources of fuses that are constructed of gold plated terminals and contain pure silver wire as the fuse element and even been treated cryogenically. Obviously, these are not your 29 cent RS fuse. Sellers claim the audio chain is only as good as it's weakest point and point to cheap fuse wires carrying the all-important audio signal on it's way to its final destination.

NOTE: I'm not promoting anything here - just giving CSP audio buffs something to ponder.

Here is a link to PS Audio's web site area devoted to their line of 'critical link' fuses.

http://www.psaudio.com/cart/ProductDisplay.asp?productID=108

The recent issue of Stereophile mentions the use of HIFI Tuning's fuses in the review of an Onkyo integrated amp. I have yet to see a claimed use as a loudspeaker fuse, buy why not? Fuse ratings offered are in the range recommended by AR and in other CSP postings.

Attached is a word .doc clip from a HIFI Tuning ad. Their's are 'hand made' in Germany.

So, is this more snake oil being peddled by the audio industry?

YOU BE THE JUDGE!

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>I think we've beaten the capacitor debate to death and at

>this point feel we need to divert our attention to a new

>tweak/mod I discovered which may have application to those who

>have fused their classic speakers in an effort to protect

>there drivers from damage.

>

>Behold the 'AUDIO GRADE FUSE'. Apparently there are a few

>sources of fuses that are constructed of gold plated terminals

>and contain pure silver wire as the fuse element and even been

>treated cryogenically. Obviously, these are not your 29 cent

>RS fuse. Sellers claim the audio chain is only as good as it's

>weakest point and point to cheap fuse wires carrying the

>all-important audio signal on it's way to its final

>destination.

>

>NOTE: I'm not promoting anything here - just giving CSP audio

>buffs something to ponder.

>

>Here is a link to PS Audio's web site area devoted to their

>line of 'critical link' fuses.

>

>http://www.psaudio.com/cart/ProductDisplay.asp?productID=108

>

>The recent issue of Stereophile mentions the use of HIFI

>Tuning's fuses in the review of an Onkyo integrated amp. I

>have yet to see a claimed use as a loudspeaker fuse, buy why

>not? Fuse ratings offered are in the range recommended by AR

>and in other CSP postings.

>

>Attached is a word .doc clip from a HIFI Tuning ad. Their's

>are 'hand made' in Germany.

>

>So, is this more snake oil being peddled by the audio

>industry?

>

>YOU BE THE JUDGE!

>

>It's all about the music

>

>Carl

>Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Hi Carl;

Interesting reading, both links, thank you, Carl.

At $29.95 per fuse, plus fuseholder, which probably will be gold plated as well, these are worth as much as some of our used drivers.

Not all AR recommended values are listed.

Would it be possible to copy this to the, "other forum", "fast blow fuse", topic, for continuity?

There is more to be written on this very important, "fuse subject", I am certain.

From me for sure.

Snake oil, so be it judged!

Tellur is not an element nor apparently is it a mineral so to designate the composition as TeCuAg is, at best misleading.

According to Webster:

tellur-

Main Entry: tellur-

Variant(s): or telluro-

Function: combining form

Etymology: Latin tellur-, tellus — more at thill

1: earth

2[New Latin tellurium] : tellurium

So, in simple terms, this is a "combination" of copper and silver.

Most (actually all that I ever saw and used) military grade fuses of this form factor are silver plated; silver oxide conducts. What the Navy uses aren't cheap, but they are compared to these puppies.

Are they good, very probably. What do they do best, in MY opinion?

Lighten your wallet.

A good glass of wine will improve the sound of your system for far less, and you will enjoy it all the more. Hell, my system sounds really good when my wife is in the mood.

Hi Vern. I knew you'd chime in early on. Welcome aboard.

I felt the mod area was best because to me, it's a true mod - assuming one already has a fuse set up on their speakers.

Who's going to be the first to try one or two of those 'boutique' fuses?

Not me, I personally don't have fuses on my speakers.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Jim: Since these are made in Germany, I would suggest that tellur is German tellurium; symbol Te. So TeCuAg would be an alloy of tellurium-copper-silver of who knows what elemental proportions. Lkely chosen to melt at a specific temperature.

Now as to whether they are worth it? I can ten bottles of Three-buck-Chuck for the price of one of these and it wouldn't take many of them to make any speaker sound really mellow :-)

Cheers,

>I would suggest that

>tellur is German for tellurium;

Which it is, but I read the fine print on the adv. dated 2005 and it says the fuse element is nothing but pure fine silver! So they are connecting a coper wire to a silver fuse by means of a gold plated connector? ... or by smoke and mirrors?

Perhaps it is best to forget about fuses and buy just one bottle of 3$-Chuck.

Here' a bit of history and info on Tellurium. The stuf is toxic for starters.

History

(L. tellus: earth) Discovered by Muller von Reichenstein in 1782; named by Klaproth, who isolated it in 1798.

Sources

Tellurium is occasionally found native, but is more often found as the telluride of gold (calaverite), and combined with other metals. It is recovered commercially from anode muds produced during the electrolytic refining of blister copper. The U.S., Canada, Peru, and Japan are the largest Free World producers of the element.

Properties

Crystalline tellurium has a silvery-white appearance, and when pure it exhibits a metallic luster. It is brittle and easily pulverized. Amorphous tellurium is found by precipitating tellurium from a solution of telluric or tellurous acid. Whether this form is truly amorphous, or made of minute crystals, is open to question. Tellurium is a p-type semiconductor, and shows greater conductivity in certain directions, depending on alignment of the atoms.

Its conductivity increases slightly with exposure to light. It can be doped with silver, copper, gold, tin, or other elements. In air, tellurium burns with a greenish-blue flames, forming the dioxide. Molten tellurium corrodes iron, copper, and stainless steel.

Handling

Tellurium and its compounds are probably toxic and should be handled with care. Workmen exposed to as little as 0.01 mg/m3 of air, or less, develop "tellurium breath," which has a garlic-like odor.

Isotopes

Thirty isotopes of tellurium are known, with atomic masses ranging from 108 to 137. Natural tellurium consists of eight isotopes.

Uses

Tellurium improves the machinability of copper and stainless steel, and its addition to lead decreases the corrosive action of sulfuric acid on lead and improves its strength and hardness. Tellurium is used as a basic ingredient in blasting caps, and is added to cast iron for chill control. Tellurium is used in ceramics. Bismuth telluride has been used in thermoelectric devices.

Costs

Tellurium costs about $100/lb, with a purity of about 99.5%.

Hi Jim:

Snake Oil is as good a term as I can use to describe this product! The other term might be "hype." There is a standard Cu-Te alloy called CDA-c14500 that has been around for a long time. It contains 0.55 percent Te. The Copper Development Association lists the following applications:

"Forgings, screw machine products and parts requiring high conductivity, extensive machining, corrosion resistance, copper color, or a combination of these; electrical connectors, motor and switch parts, plumbing fittings, soldering coppers, welding torch tips, transistor bases and furnace brazed articles."

However, there is nothing in their advertising to indicate that they used this alloy in ther fuse holders -- but if they did, I can't see see the fuss. Tellurium, like selenium, sulfur, and cadmium are elements added to metals in low concentrations to improve some characteristic of the metal such as machining or stamping or welding. So is silver. Rarely are metals or alloys used without trace additives. So what - it is probably in my yard faucet too ;)

Cheers,

Archived