LSTs for Sale

Guest SteveG

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I have a pair in mechanically great condition but the cabinets are pretty rough. I scratch my head when I see LST's going for this much and wonder if they are really worth it????

Yes they are worth the price,however the ones which went for $1525.00

were in mint condition and had all original drivers.The only thing done to woofers,were new surrounds install.Cabinets still in great shape,even original grills were intact and had both AR-LST name plants on the speaker's.How do I know this? I'm the one who bought them.

Regards,

Troubleshooter

Guest SteveG

Hi trouble shooter.

Glad these found a good home. I first heard these in a store in Baltimore about 1975. They told me they didn't sell them but had a pair to demonstrate. They turned them on and let me play them. I had never seen or heard of these speakers before. At low sound levels they seemed very nice. As I turned the wolume gradually up I was expecting to hear them getting overloaded, but it didn't happen. Even at quite full (not loud) sound levels they never sounded strained. The produced more sound, not louder sound.

My pair is in similar condition. I bought them way back when about 1977 and they were 2 yrs old. I was lucky enough to see them 9in an ad in the newspaper and went right over and gave the guy $550. One mid was crackling and I had it replaced by a factory authorized repair facility with identical driver (no charge of course). I still have original woofer surrounds, believe it or not, but will need replacing eventually. I checked and the spiders are still perfectly flat in good shape.

Before taking the one speaker to the repair facility I took it to a friend's place so we could drive there together. He had a pair of 3a's and for fun we put one 3a and one LST on each channel. After equalizing the balance, we were suprised at how different the speakers seemed. The 3a seemed rather subdued by comparison. Then played both 3a's at the same time on his AR receiver versus the single injured LST on one chanel of my AR amp. Still there was no comparison. We expected the "double" mids and tweeters od 2 3a's would close the gap on the one LST. But it didn't seem to make much difference. Needless to say he was a little disappointed.

I recently took these to the basement after rediscovering that music sounded better on these alone that in a 5.1 setup with these as mains. I bought a used Adcom 555. They need power to play to their potential. Earlier amps I used were not up to this and left bass rather weak, and I was always feeling limited for fear of clipping. This amp brought the LSTs to life. They truly fill a large, acoustically dead room with transparent sound and provide great imaging. I can locate all the instruments in an orchestra with my eyes closed.

I certainly agree they were worth the price. After listening to some of the speakers available today for more I'd say you made a good investment indeed. Hope you enjoy these as much as I have/do.

Steve

Archived