how to remove AR94 Cloth Surrounds...

Picked these up from an unsuspecting 'ol lady who was moving into a smaller unit. Picked them up with a Yamaha500 Amp and 200 Cassette deck + Sansui Turntalbe "hardly used" for US$150...oh I forgot the cabinet too.

Anyways - enuf of the frivolities....

Have read the article over yonder re the rebuild and it's very interesting - espesh the bit about the caps loosing their lustre and the silver braided wire etc....I'd love to get into all this stuff and give them a new lease on life - but.....

First of all - how do I remove the cloth surround from the speakers - they have a top plate and a base plate and no sign of how to remove the cloth surround.

Can anyone help and I'll venture further in to the abiss.....when I get done with these - then I can move onto my AR48's I've had for 20yrs....

Place the unit upside down and remove the 4 screws from the base. The cloth may be stapled, remove the staples, the cloth has a draw string that can be undone. Gently pull the cloth down and there you have access to the drivers. If you want to remove or replace the cloth completly the top can be removed. There were 2 different types 1)Plastic -- remove the screws then same as for the base. 2) Wood -- gently insert a knife/screwdriver blade between the cabinet and top plate and working your way round prise the top off. When refitting the cloth ensure that the cloth seam locates in the groove for a smooth finish.

Archived