upgradng my AR spoeakers - update

Hey there, I mentioned earlier that I was happy to find this place. At the time, I didn't know much about what I actually had. Now, I've had a chance to look at the speakers and do some more research. So I now have a dilemna.

It turns out I have a pair of AR-2a. They are working, but the highs aren't so clear. Sounds like I could use the 'ax' upgrade mentioned on the Layne Audio website.

Now the dilemna. I defintely keeping the speakers but I'm not sure what to do with them. I am building a home theater system - dolby digital, etc... I was thinking about using these in the system as the front drivers, but it doesn't seem like an appropriate use for them. Not sure if they'll match the voice/timber of the rest of the speakers.

So, should I upgrade to newer type woofer, crossover etc...(or is that sacriledge) and incorporate into HT system,

or

Fix things up using classic AR pieces and incorporate into HT system,

or

leave things basically the way they are and use them in a 2 channel system just for music, etc...

Mostly I need to know if its possible to use these in a modern HT system with other modern AR speakers (8 ohm), and a Yamaha Receiver/Amp (8ohm)

>It turns out I have a

>pair of AR-2a. They

>are working, but the highs

>aren't so clear. Sounds

>like I could use the

>'ax' upgrade mentioned on the

>Layne Audio website.

Yes

>Fix things up using classic AR

>pieces and incorporate into HT

>system,

Solid classic AR based HT sounds good. AR3a mains, AR2ax surrounds, and a LST/II for the center.

>leave things basically the way they

>are and use them in

>a 2 channel system just

>for music, etc...

That is what I am doing with my AR9s, wife has the HT with modern HiRes ARs.

>Mostly I need to know if

>its possible to use these

>in a modern HT system

>with other modern AR speakers

>(8 ohm), and a Yamaha

>Receiver/Amp (8ohm)

Yes, if the system allows you to set the gain for each channel.

Nigel

Archived