Pics of vintage utahs

Guest bob33

I can't tell you much about them other than I had a pair. I had the choice of these, or for a small amount more a pair of AR-6s (I think). I couldn't wait to get "something" and was champing at the bit to get something better than I had on my new 45w/channel receiver.

I bought them in IL at a Playback store. I went in the store to purchase a pair of ARs. The ARs were nice and clearly smoked the Utahs on classical music, but I also listened to something contemporary (maybe "Hocus Pocus" from Focus?) and the Utahs were much, much louder. I was young, what can I say? Louder, more forward, punchier - "I think I'll have these, please."

For some reason I'm either remembering or misremembering that the store had them marked $84ea. I paid considerably less, but then my big sister's boyfriend was managing the store!

That would have been about 1972-3. After a few years I sold them to a friend for $60. Eventually he used the cabinets for a home-grown pair of speakers after some driver or another died.

Thanks for sharing those pictures. That brought back a fair number of memories.

Bret

Your welcome the sad thing is is that i found these laying in the junk. And one of the woofers isnt original other wise both speakers and cabnets are in mint condition. I want to try to find another original 8 inch woofer the one thats not original is a 8 inch car sub. but i really want to fix this imperfection and make them all original again. I am haveing trouble finding and original 8 inch woofer on ebay and i am having trouble finding any information of any source on the internet. But from what i have read utah joined with knight and formed these speakers. They are a special design because they put drivers that had no foam surrounds on them to try and prevent foam rot. So basicly i think these were more a experamental speaker then a big mass marketed speaker. But what i am amazed at is the original 8 inch woofer blows the car sub away in clear solid bass no distortion. I want to keep these all original just like i like vintage cars all original i just think it has more charactor that way.

Ps thanks for reply

>Why would i have my large advents sitting on top of my utahs?<

As part of a sonic illustration of Heisenberg's principle of indeterminacy?

Rising water?

As a secret signal that your roommate needs to "bunk-out" tonight?

Bret

Archived