Wanted: Boston Acoustics A60 series 1 - woofer

Bandolino

I am looking for a replacement woofer/mid driver for my Boston Acoustics A60 series 1. I just got a pair, and one woofer sounds very distorted.

I called Boston Acoustics (978-538-5000), and they still sell the replacement drivers, but they are $40 each. The guy I spoke with recommended replacing both woofers at the same time, saying that the new one and the older one would not match in sound, due to changes from aging. I am hoping to repair these speakers for less than the $80 two new drivers would cost.

Does anyone know of a good source for original replacement drivers, other than ebay? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Bandolino,

If I recall correctly, the A60 series I came with a 8" paper cone woofer. I have a few pair of A70s series II with the 8" poly cone woofer.

IMHO, I would try to repair or find the same vintage spare pair of woofers rather than new. I suspect the new ones from BA would be "acceptable replacements" (maybe from a later BA model, T-xxx...) rather than the exact original woofers.

Distorted sound could be caused by bad foam surrounds or burnt/rubbing voice coils. How does the foam look? The dcr of the woofer should be ~4.3 ohms (for a nominal impedence of 8 ohms). A DIY re-foam kit can be had for ~$20 or you can have them re-foam for ~$45-$60 a pair. It's not difficult to re-foam, just takes a bit of time & skill. I've re-foamed many BA woofers. Drop me a line if you need any more info, advice or my services.

Hope you get them in top shape again!

>I am looking for a replacement woofer/mid driver for my

>Boston Acoustics A60 series 1. I just got a pair, and one

>woofer sounds very distorted.

>

>I called Boston Acoustics (978-538-5000), and they still sell

>the replacement drivers, but they are $40 each. The guy I

>spoke with recommended replacing both woofers at the same

>time, saying that the new one and the older one would not

>match in sound, due to changes from aging. I am hoping to

>repair these speakers for less than the $80 two new drivers

>would cost.