KLH Model six speakers free to good home

Carlspeak

I have 3 speakers available for pickup only on Northern CT area. Two are in very good condition cabinet-wise (see attached photo zip file). The third has a poor cabinet and the grill cloth has been ripped open. The model numbers on the two good ones are: M6-083974 & M6-084005.

There is one caveat however. The tweeters don't appear to be working. These are the earlier models that have the epoxied in woofer and tweeter.

I just don't have the time to work on these myself but am willing to give them to someone who does.

Please write me directly or call me at 860-841-6616 if you are interested.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest dbradley

Carl - I will give you a call. I live in West Hartford although I am not in town today. If someone hasn't already taken them, I could come by over the weekend. I own three sets of KLH's - 17's and 23's -and have refinished one pair myself. I think I have a source for replacement tweeters. Dave

The two good ones are now gone. However, the third, ugly one remains if someone wants to pick it up to salvage the parts. I live in northern CT.

You have until Tues a.m. to respond. Otherwise it's going out for curbside trash pickup.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest dbradley

Carl - I saw your subsequent post where you were planning to dump the last KLH-6. I am the guy who gratefully took the first two. I have a question. Do you have any idea what the serial number was on the third one?

I am trying to land on my approach to opening the speakers up - either through the back or through the front. I am guessing that the capacitors may be the problem. If I went through the front, the normal way to get to the capacitors would be by removing the woofers. But if the woofers, which are working, are epoxied in, it appears I would have to destroy them to get to the capacitors, and I also would have done some damage to the grill cloth in the process. (You may know that there is no grill on these. The cloth just sits on the baffleboard and has to be cut out to go in the front.) Hard to get excited about that. So that would lead me to go through the back if I think the woofer is epoxied in, vs. screwed in.

The serial numbers on the two I have are around 84000. Apparently, at some point KLH moved from epoxying the woofers in to screwing them in. I recall that on the third one you had, both the tweeter and woofer were epoxied in. If the serial number on it is above or around 84000, then I know what to expect.

Hence my question. Thanks, Carl.

Archived