NOT currently for sale; I need a clue.

Guest Bret

My dad replaced the woofers in his AR3a's in the early to mid 80s. He ordered the drivers before he removed the grills from the speakers so felt he should order replacement grills when he ordered the drivers (in case he tore the originals up in removing them). The original grill removal went well so he didn't need the replacements.

He's been holding onto these, unopened, for 20 years. Hard to believe, huh? I only found out about it last week or I'd probably have used them already. (Dads sometimes know when to not-tell sons stuff.)

On the one hand I'm thinking, "Gosh, I ought to save those so when I inherit the 3a's (provided he and I meet our maker in the standard order) I can replace the grills." On the other hand I'm thinking, "The 3a grills he has are perfect in every respect, why hang onto these replacements when we are extremely unlikely to ever need them and someone else might really need/want them?"

Well, in order for me to properly weigh his options , I need to have some idea of the $$$ he's passing-up. I haven't the foggiest idea whether they are worth $50 or $500.

Have any of you seen an eBay auction or other indication of what NIB 3a replacement grills might be worth?

Similarly, a pair of original, real-mccoy, AR walnut speaker stands (the 10" or so high, "X"-like, ones): Are they worth anything?

I'm sorry to ask a question that has no "right" answer like this, and certainly I don't expect an answer like "$42.53 + tax." I'd just like to get in the general ballpark of reasonable.

As I say, neither of these things is currently for sale (unless of course someone is willing to pay $1 million, in which case we can conclude the transaction over drinks on my new yacht -- I mean . . . Dad's new yacht. . .)

Bret

I have seen the stands go for as high as $100 and as low as $10. They are very rare. I have been trying to find a pair for my AR-3's but without any luck. I have not seen a pair on ebay for years. I just bought new in box original AR-3a grilles from Layne Audio for $50. They are indeed real originals, they were discovered in an old AR factory.

Thank you. That gives me something to go on. The guy with the stands is going to get rid of his 3a's and was debating whether to sell the stands separately or include them with the speakers. At least I have something to be able to tell him, now.

The new 3a grills from Layne - did Stephen indicate that he had lots of them or almost none or did he not say? The reason I ask is that I might want to buy a pair and use them to re-grill a pair of 2ax's. I would never have guessed that anyone still had any.

But I'm surprised, frankly, that you were able to complete a transaction with Layne. I'm kinda upset with Stephen right now. I called to get L-pads *and* more importantly, to get him to send me my 20027s back (he's had them since January 2003). I've talked to him twice since Thanksgiving of 2003. The first time he was going to "get right back to me" and the second time he was going to send the speakers in the next few days and he wouldn't take the L-pad order preferring to send it all together. I mean, that's a nice thought and all, but I need the L-pads *now* as opposed to whenever.

So far nothing's happened.

Oh well.

Thank you again for the price info. I expect it will be a month or maybe even two before he eBays his stuff (nice stuff, Oracle turntable, Linn Ittok arm, hybrid preamp, Revox A-77 with all the trimmings, a nice pair of 3a's, etc) but I'll try to remember to post something here just to give you a heads-up on the stands if he decides to go the "separate" route.

Bret

>The new 3a grills from Layne - did Stephen indicate that he

>had lots of them or almost none or did he not say? The reason

>I ask is that I might want to buy a pair and use them to

>re-grill a pair of 2ax's. I would never have guessed that

>anyone still had any.

He said that he had originally had four pairs, and that I had purchaced the last pair. Sorry!, but I think he does have some cloth that looks just like the original.

Archived