Bi-Wire a pair of 303s

I'm very happy with our pair of 303s, but I'd like to see what they would do if bi-wired and bi-amped. I'm wondering if anyone else had experience with a passive crossover setup that works. As I recall, the 303a is bi-wired...anyone know how those crossovers are set up?

I'd like to run the mids and tweeters from one two-channel amplifier and the woofers from another two-channel amp.

Thanks for your advice.

There are no substantive differences between the crossovers in the 303 and 303a. There is nothing fancy about the network topology: just low, mid and high filter sections all parallel connected to the input terminals. Bi-amping the 303 is a matter of cutting appropriate traces on the PCB in order to isolate the midrange and tweeter circuits for connection to one amp, woofer to another. You will need to do a bit of clever jumpering to get the grounds separated, (if you feel it is necessary). That's because the ground trace kind of weaves its way around the board in such a way so as to defy a single easy point of dissection.

If you know how to trace wiring, recognize component types, understand driver polarity, etc, it should be pretty quick work. If you don't, well... probably best to stay out of the box.

Thank you for the timely advice. After a second lookover, I think I'll NOT attempt to rework the crossover circuits in the 303s. These are well made units that deserve better. I have a couple of pairs of KEFs I can practice on without fear of messing up something really good.

Archived