Mission 734 Speaker Towers??

Guest DaLarry

Guest DaLarry

Anybody know anything about these speakers? I was buying an old Dynaco ST-70 yesterday I picked up a pair yesterday as a throw in. Mission is apparently a U.K. company and they seem to be older but well regarded over there. Anyone here in the states have knowledge of them? I haven't decided whether or not to keep them. I listened to them a little bit while giving the ST-70 a "burn test". They sounded very nice.

• 5 months later...
Anybody know anything about these speakers? I was buying an old Dynaco ST-70 yesterday I picked up a pair yesterday as a throw in. Mission is apparently a U.K. company and they seem to be older but well regarded over there. Anyone here in the states have knowledge of them? I haven't decided whether or not to keep them. I listened to them a little bit while giving the ST-70 a "burn test". They sounded very nice.

How are you enjoying the Mission 734's? Are they still a good match for your Dynaco?

Dennis

I've yet to meet a Mission speaker i didn't like. Most of them have a slightly recessed midrange which suits certain types of music. They are by and large quite accurate speakers, but not rock-and-rollers as such. I had a pair of Mission 751's(small monitors), which are considered the most accurate speakers Mission made. Wonderful soundstage, great on acoustical, jazz, folk, classical. The Freedom series signaled a change from the standard aluminum-vapour deposited plastic tweeter to a silk dome, and the treble was a little smoother as a result.

I think the more you listen to your 734's, the more you will like them. They are certainly not in-your-face speakers, but are among the least fatiguing speakers you are likely to hear.

• 7 months later...
How are you enjoying the Mission 734's? Are they still a good match for your Dynaco?

Dennis

A little late in replying but better than not. I have discovered that I don't have an ordinary ST 70 but one with the GSI driver board upgrade. The power supply has been completely upgraded and the 7199 has been replaced with a 12AX7 and 6CG7 for each channel. I am currently running JJ KT77's, Sylvania cleartop 6CG7's and Telefunken ECC81's for each channel. It has plenty of power, sounds sweet as can be, and seems to be an ideal match for my 734's, especially on jazz which is what I mostly listen to.

I've yet to meet a Mission speaker i didn't like. Most of them have a slightly recessed midrange which suits certain types of music. They are by and large quite accurate speakers, but not rock-and-rollers as such. I had a pair of Mission 751's(small monitors), which are considered the most accurate speakers Mission made. Wonderful soundstage, great on acoustical, jazz, folk, classical. The Freedom series signaled a change from the standard aluminum-vapour deposited plastic tweeter to a silk dome, and the treble was a little smoother as a result.

I think the more you listen to your 734's, the more you will like them. They are certainly not in-your-face speakers, but are among the least fatiguing speakers you are likely to hear.

You are sooooo right!. I've A-B'ed them with a few nice vintage speakers as well as decent current production speakers and nothing sounds so just right. I'm very, very happy.

Archived