Lahti Speakers - Ann Arbor

Guest Electrospark

Guest Electrospark

Hey guys, I have a pair of U2 bookshelf Speakers made by Lahti of Ann Arbor. Oiled Walnut, gold grill, and only 9-1/4 x 11-3/4. Very flat sound for such a small enclosure. Obviously a heavy, well-made unit. Tweeter is out on one. Anyone crack one of these? They're glued up, and unlike ARs, there's no screws in front to remove the components. Regards, Steve F

• 6 months later...
Guest tomtarr
Hey guys,

I have a pair of U2 bookshelf Speakers made by Lahti of Ann Arbor.

Oiled Walnut, gold grill, and only 9-1/4 x 11-3/4. Very flat sound for such a small enclosure. Obviously a heavy, well-made unit.

Tweeter is out on one. Anyone crack one of these? They're glued up, and unlike ARs, there's no screws in front to remove the components.

Regards,

Steve F

Guest tomtarr
Hey guys,

I have a pair of U2 bookshelf Speakers made by Lahti of Ann Arbor.

Oiled Walnut, gold grill, and only 9-1/4 x 11-3/4. Very flat sound for such a small enclosure. Obviously a heavy, well-made unit.

Tweeter is out on one. Anyone crack one of these? They're glued up, and unlike ARs, there's no screws in front to remove the components.

Regards,

Steve F

The tweater was glued in with wood glue and can be pryed out. I havent found a replacement speaker yet ,the company that made the tweaters does not make them any more.it was a 10 watt 8 ohm 3 inch speaker.I can not find any 8 ohm 3 inch speaker.

• 13 years later...

You have to cut the back out.  Use a hand-held jig saw, drill a hole in one corner so you can insert the blade, then just cut the back out of the box.   Once out you'll have to build a small 'internal' frame in order to remount the back panel.   This you do with simple 1" X 1" firing wood.  Then you reinstall the back against that frame and just screw it in much like your AR speakers.   BTW, some of Lahti's speakers used a 'sealer' material between the speaker frame and the front panel.   So, don't be surprised if the tweeter seems to be 'glued' to the baffle-board.   They generally just pop loose, but sometimes it takes a bit of prying.   Also, in order to maintain symetry, you may want to replace the tweeters in both speakers.  And, while you're in there, I'd remove the woofers and inspect them as well.  These things are 50+ years old, and while I don't recall specifically what all Lahti used for drivers, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were made with material that degraded over time.   Many manufacturers did.   Good luck!  Tom D.