Whats a good cheaper efficiant speaker system

Guest BeTtYbUdDy16

Guest BeTtYbUdDy16

I was thinking of buying a smaller speaker system with good efficiancy for my hk prefforbly 8ohm. I was thinking maybe somewheres along the line of bose 301 series 2 i dont know exactly how efficiant bose is though considering i never owned a pair. Maybe somthing with a 10 wpc maybe 15 wpc max i got the pair of utah as 2as but the drivers werent original causing it to sound unbalanced. Maybe some hk 20s would be somthing to come by but i dont know what these speakers sound like i would like to test drive them first if you know what i mean. There is a audio shop by were i live they have a pair of little hk 20s but im not sure if you got any good suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks jeff

• 9 months later...
Guest driranek

If you really need efficiency, pretty much anything by Klipsch will be more efficient than almost anything short of a Voice of the Theater. The RB series is relatively small and sounds good, but can be costly.

Turns out I'm not a "horn driver" kinda guy...

Efficency is only part of the story - "ease of drive" also makes a lot of difference and is basically determined by how flat the impedance curve is and whether the speaker has big swings in the capacitive phase angle.

While not efficient, most EPI models are extremely easy to drive. I've had good luck with EPI 100V speakers powered by 20 WPC tube amps, although 40+ WPC would be a lot better if your room is larger. Beaters are available for dirt cheap on eBay.

Large Advents work quite well with low power. they are relatively easy to find on the used market for cheap, usually requiring a re-foam job, but they are very easy to do and the foam kits are about $15-$20.

Archived