What to adjust on the inside of the hk reciever

Guest bob33

Guest bob33

Hi as you all know i have a harman kardon receiver. And when i have it on the sound comming from the left speaker sounds louder than the sound comming from the right speaker and the balance knob is balanced. So i know its not that theres little knobs inside theres one black one for each channel its kind of a bigger one theres also a smaller one. Which one controls what like does one controll how the channel will sound and what one will controll how the channel is balanced?. And how would i go about balancing the channels out it at lower volumes. I have to have the balance knob turned pretty much all of the way to the right but then i need to turn it up a little louder to get any sound at all to come out of the right channel. Is this normal plus i got a little bit of a hum comming from the amp section. I dont think its any thing bad it aint loud its just enough to hear it and im looking to get the tuner string fixed i cant do it myself i tryed and gave up after 5 hours how much would it cost me to get the tuner string fixed by a professional. I dont know i think it would count on who you are planning to get it fixed by but yeah. thanks jeff

>Hi as you all know i have a harman kardon receiver. And when

>i have it on the sound comming from the left speaker sounds

>louder than the sound comming from the right speaker and the

>balance knob is balanced. So i know its not that theres little

>knobs inside theres one black one for each channel its kind of

>a bigger one theres also a smaller one. Which one controls

>what like does one controll how the channel will sound and

>what one will controll how the channel is balanced?. And how

>would i go about balancing the channels out it at lower

>volumes. I have to have the balance knob turned pretty much

>all of the way to the right but then i need to turn it up a

>little louder to get any sound at all to come out of the right

>channel. Is this normal plus i got a little bit of a hum

>comming from the amp section. I dont think its any thing bad

>it aint loud its just enough to hear it and im looking to get

>the tuner string fixed i cant do it myself i tryed and gave up

>after 5 hours how much would it cost me to get the tuner

>string fixed by a professional. I dont know i think it would

>count on who you are planning to get it fixed by but yeah.

>thanks jeff

Hi Jeff;

First off do not open the cabinet up for any reason, unless the manufacturer does give you instructions to the otherwise.

There is nothing inside that you are suppose to touch, with the exception of possibly fuses.

If you do go inside, do not change any pot settings.

Fuses are usually always on the outside in chassis mounted fuse holders.

If so, check that the fuses are the correct size and not burned out.

Each step ahead you must turn off the amp and leave it and any connections for it for at least 2 - 3 minutes, allowing the capacitors to discharge.

Try reversing the speaker wires so that the left is connected to the right channel, etc.

Now turn it back on and see what changes there are.

If this happens with a cd player, change left for right as well.

If this happens with a turntable ditto.

Check the speaker wires to see if they are shorted, maybe pinched under a bed frame or chair.

Please get back to us with your progress.

Guest bob33

Its to late i already adjusted the pots inside. I almost got it back to the correct balance but i need to know what pot to turn and what one to leave alone. I know how the pots went before i messed with it so turning it back is no big problem. The fuses are all the correct size to because i just replaced all of the old fuses all incorrect with new matching value fuses. I also replaced the left channel fuse holder the threads on the old one were striped out cause the holder to wiggle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest denmarkdrivers

Most of the hk recivers from that era were twin powered units, is the difference your talking about slight ? try pressing the mono button in and see if you notice the same balance problem.

Archived