University Series 200 3-way Diffaxials

Guest G. Tarango

Guest G. Tarango

Hello...A while back I was given (my home's kind of an old electronics drop off point)a monstrous old console that contained a Fisher 500-B, a Viking of Minnesota reel-to-reel, and a pair of University Series 200 speakers. Everything works (well, the Fisher did after I replaced all but one tube due to someone harvesting the rest), but the speakers never sounded right. Upon inspection, they are missing a 3"-4" area of foam that is down inside under what I believe is the tweeter. For the weight and size of these things (12" frame, 10" cone) I think they should sound better. Are any of you out there familiar with this speaker and would it be worth fixing them (if possible) and putting them in new cabinets (the monstor console now holds pretty much all my normal audio-visual stuff after removing the speakers and using separate units). I have the original paperwork from the speakers with cabinet size recommendations and specs. The only other thing I know is that they date from probably the early 60s. Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Archived