Older Speaker Quality versus Today'

Hi

I am new and I do not profess to be an audio expert. I am in a non-profit , money losing "cult" however of trying to continually upgrade my system.

I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's for my front speakers. I would like to add a second pair for rear speakers. The Paradigm 100's have jumped in price of $400 for new since I last bought them. I have a chance of buying a used pair of PSB Goldi's for $1000 or a pair of old Sansui SP-X8000 in good condition for $200.

1. Is there a significant difference in quality between the old classic Sansui's and the current speakers of today such as Paradigm and PSB speakers?

2. Is it generally accepted if classic quality speakers are equally as good as today or vice a versa? Could someone give me explanations/examples .

Your assistance is appreciated.

Dennis

Guest Nigel

Hi Dennis

>1. Is there a significant difference in quality between the

>old classic Sansui's and the current speakers of today such

>as Paradigm and PSB speakers?

Every speaker has a different voice. You will have to judge for yourself. Position in a room make more difference than amost anything else.

>2. Is it generally accepted if classic quality speakers are

>equally as good as today or vice a versa? Could someone give

>me explanations/examples .

Many of the older speakers have cabinet superior to what is offered today, some have better components too. A specific example: Allison is producing copies of the original Allisons for 10x the price. I strongly suspect that their profit margins have not changed. It just that older speakers cost so more to manufacture than do many of today's speakers.

My classic AR9 speakers(ca.1978-1982) sound a great deal better (even my wife agrees) than our HiRes AR7 speakers(ca.2000) in our HT system.

Nigel

Guest rickcee

Hi Well, the only semi scientific view I've seen - about5 years ago stereo review ( now - ' no stereo'review 'video') tested the then new AR 303 speakers and retested vintage AR 3 a The old version came off well. Newer version somewhat 'brighter'

In general that's it , I think - modern speakers have a 'brighter ' sound related to the power capacity of modern tweeters. Also - most two way designs now have higher crossovers ( say 2,500 hz or more ) rather than the 1500 or so (1000 hz for original Advent ). To some extent the higher crossover would seem to hurt midrange response ? ? -- It takes a much more expensive new speaker to match the reeal walnut veneer quality of early seventys - late 60's types. Polk and Cambridge have $ 500. pr 8" bass speakers (classic bookshelf ) and Paradgim has a model, 'studio 40 ??. If you could afford, that's what I'd go for. somewhat large for rear ch. (never mind the Paradigm 100 as 'rear ch.' -- I doubt many of the activists to this site would consider any Japanese spk. to be real high qual.

Anyway, no matter what anyone else says (espec. me ) Enjoy Rick

Archived