Center speaker

Guest atari030

Guest atari030

KiOra all, I picked up a pair of EPI TE 100's for $50aus. Had the drivers proffesionaly refoamed and plan to drop a couple of solen caps in to finish the job.

I am running a Marantz SR4500 amp, Harmon Kardon HD750 cdplayer, Pioneer 676a SACD/DVDa player, Marantz SD4000 Tape deack and a Pioneer PL514x TT with them atm and just love the results.

I want to get/build a center speaker to match the TE's. I have tried Human speakers but get no response. I have considered getting hold of a set of EPI drivers and building a speaker myself.

I have also heard it mentioned that they are quite close to JBL and thought maybe a JBL center might suffice.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

Guest gruss

I don't know who told you they were close to JBL, but they won't match very well. I tried to run a polk center with mine that did match my old JBL's pretty well and it was never quite right, i since have foregone the whole center channel thing and just bask in the fantastic imaging ;)

Huw from humanspeakers is definately not a "high-pressure" salesman but he'll get back to you eventually. I've had the best luck when I emailed him late at night (early am) or just call early in the afternoon.

I dont know how much room you have but you may be able to find an EPI100 to use as a center on ebay, or just pick up some drivers and build your own box. As a real quick fix find a decent center and throw an EPI tweeter in there, then it will match pretty well. (I tried that experiment with my polk cs350 and it was pretty good, i just figured it was worth more in stock form than hacked up and retrofitted)

Hope that helps! happy listening

Oops I just saw they were TE's, those JBL might match those ok, I've never actually listened to them for any extended period and don't remember the differences.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest atari030

Thanks for that. I don't think the T/E's would be alot different from their predecssors. Tho in the South Pacific we get a shortage of EPI speakers to compare ;-).

I will ebay for a tweeter I think and start the grand experiment.

Cheers

Mark

• 5 months later...

I have a set of EPI 400's and 120c's and at one time did have a set of the newer T/E speakers [don't remember the model number] and they are definitely not the same. By time the T/E speakers were produced, EPI was not the company it once was and neither were the speakers or the quality of sound they produced.

If you wish to build a center speaker to match you T/E EPI's, then search places like eBay for T/E replacement drivers [not drivers from the older EPI's].

Good luck

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest atari030

Thanks guys. I got some tweeters last week (finally) from a bloke here in Melbourne. Same model but about a month newer. Put the tweeter in my centre speaker. Boy what a difference. Tested it out with War of the Worlds and Brothers in Arms on SACD. Still a bit of difference in colouration from the main drivers but a dramatic improvement.

Now I want to find a 6 inch EPI driver and build my own cabinet based around the TE70 specs. Now that is proving to be difficult. Still good things come to those who wait.....

Mark

Archived