model 200 questions

Guest babbler68

Guest babbler68

hi everybody, im new here and love the site. i just aquired a pair of model 200 with what i assume to be stock stands for them though i could be wrong, they are metal about a foot high. well my question is how much are these worth and what would it cost to have a new surround puit on one of the woofers. the one speaker sounds perfect but the other is not scratchy or anything but sounds to be only about half the volume of the other. physically they are absolutely perfect, the walnut veener is flawless and the real thick foam has no rips at all but does seem a little bowed out where the woofer is. i dont know if that a a design idea? or just from sound pushing it out.these really are beautiful speakers so id love to know anones opinion of them when perfect or whether they are worth it. either way, if anyone can tell me about these id really appreciate it.

WWW.humanspeakers.com

I'm not real familiar with that model but your probably looking at 40-50 bucks a driver to get complete rebuilds and they will sound as good or better than new. Might take a while to get the parts and depending on the year of the speaker may require you to send in the original for rebuild.

People sometimes sell the drivers on ebay for these too, but I'd be leary of who actually rebuilt them in some cases, Search ebay>consumer electronics for EPI

I saw some 100's still in a box, you could probably swap the drivers just to get a feel for what they'll sound like and when you get the replacements have one heck of a HT setup

• 12 years later...

OK, so here is a VERY late reply to a 2006 post  ; )

I thought it might be useful for anyone searching for EPI 200 info:

All models (200A through C) were essentially the standard EPI Module (the tweeter and 8" woofer) in a larger cabinet that added a 12" Passive Radiator. Having heard a lot of PR's that I didn't like, this design surprised me with the natural low end: nothing forced about it, really a very good speaker! You can see the details on Huw's Humanspeaker.com site. They did play with the crossover a bit, and Huw's diagram will show you the correct capacitor to use (rebuilt mine years ago, but it wasn't the standard 10mF in most EPI module designs). Huw also commented that early versions had a nice, but very conventional, PR that was very much a speaker sans magnet and driver engine. By the issuance of the final version, the C, EPI had invested in a sophisticated 12" flat fronted assembly, very light and well mannered, which might be one reason that the low frequencies sound so natural to my ears. I have never heard the earlier versions with the original PR, and owner's tend to really like those, as well. The C version arrived by 1980, and the tweeters in mine were "built" in late '79 (November, I think), to help with the time line. These speakers are quite tall, and they did indeed have a built in platform, but nothing like the stand described above. It is a simple 3" (or so) rectangle built onto the base of the speakers: just enough to acoustically decouple them. This can be seen quite clearly in the stock photo on Huw's website. These speakers have run a lot of modern competition out of my listening room.

Archived