Question on EPI towers

Guest Dave Ryan

Guest Dave Ryan

We lived in Newburyport when EPI speakers began. My father was a friend of Win Burhoe's and I worked at the EPI factory in my "didnt' start college yet" year of 1972.

We have two pairs of EPI speakers, a set of EPI 1000's (the Towers) and some 201's.

I am evaluating selling the towers. Cosmetically they need some work- they have the original brown speckled grillcloth, it needs re-gluing.

Sonically, I think a couple of the woofers have been replaced by off-the-shelf woofers, but all 8 tweeters are original.

Is there a market for these? What are they worth? I can contact Win Burhoe directly, I think, but thought I would start here.

Dave

PS I would be interested in chatting with anyone who worked at EPI at the time.

post-101599-1134585882.jpg

>We lived in Newburyport when EPI speakers began. My father

>was a friend of Win Burhoe's and I worked at the EPI factory

>in my "didnt' start college yet" year of 1972.

>

>We have two pairs of EPI speakers, a set of EPI 1000's (the

>Towers) and some 201's.

>

>I am evaluating selling the towers. Cosmetically they need

>some work- they have the original brown speckled grillcloth,

>it needs re-gluing.

>

>Sonically, I think a couple of the woofers have been replaced

>by off-the-shelf woofers, but all 8 tweeters are original.

>

>Is there a market for these? What are they worth? I can

>contact Win Burhoe directly, I think, but thought I would

>start here.

>

>

>Dave

>

>

>PS I would be interested in chatting with anyone who worked at

>EPI at the time.

Hi Dave;

Welcome to this site.

I was lucky enough to have had a demo of the Towers in a stereo store when they were selling new.

Very impressive, as I remember.

Would you happen to have a spec sheet or owners manual, by chance, to post here?

On occasion, the raw used drivers are available on ebay.

It is nice to actually hear from an ex-employee.

Maybe as time goes on, you will be able to tell us stories of your work experiences at EPI.

There is a lot of members, I am sure, that will be also interested in your chats.

Have a nice day.

• 1 month later...
Guest tbone57

Dave, as a current owner of Towers I can tell you they are rare to find. I've only seen one other pair in my life, and it was at a hall running the sound system for a new years eve party. Someone had painted them red,white and blue!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to hear a pair of these, I've managed to listen to quite a few from the EPI and Genesis lines but have never even seen a pair of these in person.

>I would love to hear a pair of these, I've managed to listen

>to quite a few from the EPI and Genesis lines but have never

>even seen a pair of these in person.

>

Hi there;

There is a photo in the library I believe of the speaker and the designer standing beside it, if I remember correctly.

It is only about 35 years ago, I was listening on one occasion and I still remember how they were large in size and sound.

Cleeaarr and loouudd is probably my best memory.

• 1 month later...

I remember hearing these when they first came out. A friend and I "auditioned" them with The Doobie Bros. 'Captain & Me' and Kansas' first LP. Awsome sound! An experience that I remember to this day. I would have given my left ... for a pair of these. By the time I was able to afford decent speakers EPI had disolved to a poor imatation of what they started out to be. Too bad someone swapped out the woofers. That will definitely affect their value.

Guest palomar

I never got a chance to personally listen to the towers, but I really enjoyed that original EPI sound. Several people I spoke with had heard them and gave them rave reviews. And Stereophile Magazine, back in the good old days when J. Gordon Holt was running things, gave them an 'A' rating.

Gary

• 3 months later...
Guest hikejohn

Hi,

I worked at EPI from around 1971 through 1976/77...ran Epicure, R&D and QC....always hassling with Jim Gorman. The 1000 towers had very select woofers...determined by having a free air resonance of about 18Hz as I recall, critical that all 4 were matched...yields were very low on them...I am very familar with them as Win gave me a pair as a wedding present....which I used for a number of years.

John

>Hi,

>I worked at EPI from around 1971 through 1976/77...ran

>Epicure, R&D and QC....always hassling with Jim Gorman.

>The 1000 towers had very select woofers...determined by having

>a free air resonance of about 18Hz as I recall, critical that

>all 4 were matched...yields were very low on them...I am very

>familar with them as Win gave me a pair as a wedding

>present....which I used for a number of years.

>

>John

Hi Johm;

It is quite a thrill reading from someone who has such an intimate knowledge and relationship with a really rare top notch classic speaker.

Thank you.

• 9 months later...

Hi John;

Do you remember if there was individual woofer chambers for the woofers?

There is now a pair of oak finished Towers listed on ebay for a BIN of only, yes only, $8,000.00.

These are unlike anything else I have ever seen, either in a photo or a demonstration.

These are Oak paneled rather than with the usual black grille cloth cover.

These are more like mini-monitors, without grill cloths and with chrome driver outer rings.

These are either unique or modified by others.

Attachment #7 is the usual appearance I have seen, mind you, in the vertical postion.

post-101040-1177212588.jpg

post-7-1177212588.jpg

post-7-1177212589.jpg

post-7-1177212590.jpg

post-7-1177212591.jpg

post-7-1177212592.jpg

post-101040-1177212759.jpg

Hi again;

I just thought I would add to my recent write-up.

I usually download and printout later, literature that I want to read at my leisure.

I did that as usual but I could not print out the brochure clear enough to read the words on both of them.

I returned to ebay and instead of saving, I printed to my printer.

Much better, not perfect, but very readable at least.

Now if I only had the money, the room size and height.

Oh well, at least I have EPI 100's.

Archived