Rummage sale Genesis speakers

Guest G. Tarango

Guest G. Tarango

Hello...I just purchased a pair of Genesis speakers at a church sale and am looking for any information on them. The cabinets are 14"x28"x10" and the speakers consist of a tweeter, one 8", and a seemingly 'decorative' 10" (no magnet, etc.). I know I'm missing something here and would like to know the principle behind the the bottom faux speaker. In checking out one of the tweeters that has a loose wire, I came across a date of 1985. Other than serial #s, nothing else, so if anyone knows a model no. on these, please let me

know.

Also, since all the speakers need refoaming, which company do most of you prefer? There seems to be quite a price difference between them all. Thanks!

Guest rickcee

Hi check the links section of this site - good stuff on EPI, Genesis . . . new or rebuilt parts apparently still avail.

I'd say depends on condition of cabinet - good real veneer finish, just needs a little sanding & linseed, or plastic . . .

Maybe you have Genesis 2 ? The extra speaker functions as a port, helping low bass .

• 1 month later...

Check out the link for Human Speakers on the main page.

The "decorative" woofer is called a passive radiator, and was very commonly used on speakers in the late 70s through the early 90s (still is on some models; my Velodyne subwoofer from 1998 has a 12" radiator). It's a variation on the bass reflex enclosure type.

Steve

Archived