CD-8s looking for a new home

Guest klscott

Guest klscott

I have a pair of walnut veneer CD-8s I bought new about 20 years ago. They've been stored in their original boxes for the past 12 years and are in good shape.

They are free to a good home, but you would need to come get them near Washington D.C.

Guest mrcrusher12

I would love to have these and would be happy pay for shipping. I'm too far away to pick up. I could arrange for UPS to pick up if you like. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest klscott

To those interested, someone came by the house to look at these speakers. When we uncrated them and removed the grills we discovered that three cones had partially collapsed. Very disappointing for us both. The boxes were in good shape, the grills were in *very* good shape. How the important bits could be in such bad shape is beyond me.

Extreme heat/cold/humidity?

Anyway if you were thinking you missed out, you didn't.

Guest Baffle

>To those interested, someone came by the house to look at

>these speakers. When we uncrated them and removed the grills

>we discovered that three cones had partially collapsed. Very

>disappointing for us both. The boxes were in good shape,

>the grills were in *very* good shape. How the important bits

>could be in such bad shape is beyond me.

>Extreme heat/cold/humidity?

In 30 years of dealing with Allison speakers and drivers, the only thing that I've seen "collapse" a driver, (I'm sure you mean the domes appear pushed in,) inverted, etc. is an impact. Most likely sometime during those 8 years the speakers were not boxed someone accidently bumped into them. Maybe the vaccum or a party, you know.

Temperature extremes are extremely unlikey. Also, those models could allow the domes to be pushed in and damaged without damaging the grill itself. Later models have a protective screen covering the domes on both the mid range and tweeters. The top firing woofers are probably ok except for needing foam surrounds.

Do the drivers actually work? Last week I pulled out two pushed in domes on some speakers by applying velcro tape to the top and VERY gently pulling back with steady pressure. Also, if the drivers work you could just leave them alone. The dent should not impact the sound to any large extent and you could do more harm than good. The woofer refoaming/repair is no problem even today on those.

BILL

Archived