Speaker Wiring?

Guest paulc

Guest paulc

In the middle of dealing with re-foaming; I have a "I think it's OK, but I'm not positive" kinds of question.

Think an Allison One. One woofer with disintegrated surrounds, so it's removed and going to be off for refoaming The other speaker just acquired small slits it it's woofers, so it be buzzing so they are disconnected.

I'd like to "limp along" on the one speaker that has one functioning woofer. The wiring of the 2 woofers is 2 "hot" wires to each speaker and a single wire connecting each of their returns. With one speaker removed, the other one is silent (circuit not complete). Can I take the "unattached "hot" lead and connect it to the "return" that is hanging loose now? Seems to me that it will complete the circuit and I will get sound. I understand that the load on the circuit is not as it was designed and I don't think I'd cause any damage, but I'd like to hear from them that know more than I.

Am I trying to do something that carries serious risks of damaging things to the point that I blow speakers?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abobotek

Since the two woofers on the A1 are in series, you should be able to limp along with 1 by connecting the leads from the missing woofer.

Two effects:

1. The frequency response will of course be different.

2. The impedance seen by the amp will be lower. So

don't run other speakers in parallel and make sure your amp can

handle 4 Ohm loads.

Archived