small advent surrounds help

Guest crawlspace

Guest crawlspace

Hi, I could use some help. I have the small advent (1976) and just received the new foam surrounds. I cleaned off the old foam and noticed that the surround is glued to the bottom of the cone. Is there a trick to doing this? This is my first time doing surrounds.

I did a search on this and found one person who said they glued it to the front of the cone, not the back, and it works fine.

Is this an option?

Thanks Mike

I've done a few Large Advents with the surround glued to the back of the cone. I simply put a thin bead of glue on the surround, let it dry for a few minutes to get tacky, then gently wiggled it over the cone until I could push the surround up from the back and attach to the cone. I then smoothed it with my fingers to make sure it was attached all around. Then I attched it to the frame, making sure the woofer was centered (no VC rubbing). Hope this helps. :)

Guest crawlspace

AFter letting the surrounds dry, I put the first woofer back and it worked great. I then put the 2nd woofer in and no sound. I took out the first woofer and tried it in the other speaker, and it did work. So I think that I have a bad woofer.

I noticed on the woofer that doesn't work that when I move it up and down, I can hear a scratching sound, something is rubbing. If I move the woofer slightly, and then move it up, the sound goes away.

Does anyone know, do I need to refoam this woofer making it straighter or is there a deeper issue?

Thanks Mike

>AFter letting the surrounds dry, I put the first woofer back

>and it worked great. I then put the 2nd woofer in and no

>sound. I took out the first woofer and tried it in the other

>speaker, and it did work. So I think that I have a bad

>woofer.

>

>I noticed on the woofer that doesn't work that when I move it

>up and down, I can hear a scratching sound, something is

>rubbing. If I move the woofer slightly, and then move it up,

>the sound goes away.

>

>Does anyone know, do I need to refoam this woofer making it

>straighter or is there a deeper issue?

>

>Thanks Mike

>

Yes, you'll have to re-do the gluing of the surround to the frame. Only this time cut off the dust cap and shim the VC and you'll be sure it's centered properly.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest crawlspace

Thankyou Carl. Do you know, is there a way to unglue the surround from the frame without damaging it, or do I have to buy another surround kit?

Thanks Mike

>Thankyou Carl. Do you know, is there a way to unglue the

>surround from the frame without damaging it, or do I have to

>buy another surround kit?

>

>Thanks Mike

>

You can pry some of it up with a non-sharp tool and carefully peel it off the frame the rest of the way around. That's your best bet. New foam surrounds are surprisingly strong. I have had success doing this.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest crawlspace

Carl: Thankyou. I managed to get it undone just using my finger. As a first timer doing this, I hesitate to cut the dustcap off. It is one of those larger funky looking ones, sort of like bumpy cardboard. I might try one more time to get it on properly as I managed to luck out on the first one.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Guest crawlspace

Carl: Rather than take the dust cap off, I tried regluing surround, making sure it did not rub anywhere. Well, I lucked out as it does play now.

I don't have the technical knowledge that many people on this site have, however, I can say that these small advents really play nicely. The only other pair I have are some AR3a's that I bought used about a year ago. I can say without hesitation that the advents have better tweeter output than the 3a's. The 3a's have it in the bass and midrange department, but the advents have a better tweeter in my opinion.

Thanks Mike

Congratulations! The same thing (one woofer rubbing) happened to me after a refoam job on a pair of Large Advents. I also thought the woofer was bad. Then I re-did it and everything works perfectly. I know the absolute correct way is to cut the dust cap and use shims, but I'm kinda fearful of that........... maybe next time.

In comparison to vintage ARs, the Advents definitely have more "presence,"...........a livelier sound, if you will. It's my understanding, based on some postings by Tom Tyson here, that Henry Kloss purposely designed the speakers this way so that they would grab the listener upon first listen. Apparently it worked.

In any case, enjoy your new speakers. :D

Archived