Attachment of foam surround on Large Advents

Guest donlockett

Guest donlockett

New member - question number 2. First question answered well. Thank you. I am re-foaming metal baskets and find that the foam is attached to the back side of the cone. Is this really necessary? Quite a bit more difficulty. On the front is a drop on and all woofers I have re-foamed in the past have been on the front. I would appreciate opinions or experiences. Thanks Don

Guest donlockett

Not masonite, metal basket. I have already completed the job with the foam surround on the front of the cone and they came out great. Actually, I like the look of the foam on the front rather than the look of the cone edge. The cone edge is rough and the foam is nice and smooth. Technically, I figured that gluing to the back of the cone with the old sticky and hard to remove residue would push the surround backward maybe 1/32 inch and gluing to the front would push it forward 1/32. So it is probably a wash, except that it is so much easier on the front. I believe that the foam, being softer than the spider, will just take the position and the home position of the coil will be controlled by the spider. I'll be listening to these Large Advents soon and comparing to my Wharfedale W70Ds since I gave my Smaller Advents to my son. I already know that the Advents are going to be the winner. It's all about the Hammond B3!

Archived