Looking for Info on Advent /2 & Advent /3

Guest plwin

Just joined this forum which I found while looking for info. on classic Advent speakers. I have been a long time fan of Kloss's Advent speakers. I have a pair of Large & Small Advents that I still love. The Large Advents are used as sub-woofers for my Magnaplanar in the main music system. The Small Advents are my main front speakers for HT setup.

Over the years, I picked up two other vintage Advents that I cannot find much information on. These are a pair of Advent /3 which looks like mini-Advents but have 6.5" woofers and a small cone tweeter (not doughnut). They sound very similar and are used as my rear HT surround speakers.

The other pair is a set of white plastic cabinets w/ silver grills and are labeled as Advent /2. They look like the same packaging used for Kloss's famous Advent 400 radio. They also sound similar but I cannot see the drivers due to the metal silver grill.

I like to find information (are they Henry Kloss designs?), specs. and replacement parts (for the future) on these speakers. Thank you for any help!

Guest SpruceMoose

the /2 should have a pair of tweeters on an angled bracket on each front baffle. they should make good side surround speakers in a 6.1 system, or rears in a 5.1 system.

i am using 3 sets of double advents in custom cabinets across the front of my HT setup, with 3 pairs of minimus-7s as side and rear surrounds.

i might consider changing to /3s in the back and a pair of smallers for the sides, but the -7s fit so well in the livingroom, so i dont know...

Thanks for the /2 info. Since I cannot see the speakers, I did not realize that there are two and angled. A bit too large to use as rear channels in 5.1 but I will keep that in mind. The "modern" white plastic /silver grill is also a bit different looking.

• 2 months later...

I had a pair of Advent 2's in the '70s. They sounded great to me at the time. I believe I paid about $80 the pair. Regrettably, I sold them to a friend(who still has them). The metal grill looked great, but was susceptible to being dented. The back of the box is removable if necessary. The woofer is 8 or 8.5 in. I remember testing them when I brought them home, placed directly on a hardwood floor. The bass was incredible for the size of the box, and had the neighbours complaining. I eventually made some 15 inch stands, which proved ideal. I think the design, what with the durable plastic exterior and the curved corners, was ahead of its time. It would probably be cost prohibitive to make such an enclosure today.

Archived