Double Advent fuse trivia 20070711

dynaco_dan

Hi there;

So many year's ago, Harry Pearson, of Absolute Sound Magazine wrote about the Double Advent speaker system.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/3...ble_advent.html

He did not state the correct fuse recommended by The Advent Corporation, (FNM 8/10 singly), instead he used a fast blow 3 amp fuse for the Doubles.

Used with a Phase Linear 700 amplifier, the fuses did not blow until fed 60 watts rms steady loads.

He went on to say, that this does not mean that several hundred watt peaks are not obtained, just not indicated by the slow amp meters.

Coincidently, the Heath/Heathkit/AR 103/3A speaker system used this same fuse, indicating tremendous power handling capabilities.

I just went to that newly renovated site and cannot find the article now, oh well, darn.

I do not understand what is wrong here.

I have the link in my computer and I still go directly to the article.

Maybe just re-type it as I entered it.

By using Google, "absolute sound" "double advent" "fuse", I located:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/3...ble_advent.html

It looks the same as yours. My Google link worked. Try using Google.

John

>Hi there;

>

>So many year's ago, Harry Pearson, of Absolute Sound Magazine

>wrote about the Double Advent speaker system.

>

>http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/3...ble_advent.html

>

>He did not state the correct fuse recommended by The Advent

>Corporation, (FNM 8/10 singly), instead he used a fast blow 3

>amp fuse for the Doubles.

>

>Used with a Phase Linear 700 amplifier, the fuses did not blow

>until fed 60 watts rms steady loads.

>

>He went on to say, that this does not mean that several

>hundred watt peaks are not obtained, just not indicated by the

>slow amp meters.

>

>Coincidently, the Heath/Heathkit/AR 103/3A speaker system used

>this same fuse, indicating tremendous power handling

>capabilities.

>

>I just went to that newly renovated site and cannot find the

>article now, oh well, darn.

>

>I do not understand what is wrong here.

>

>I have the link in my computer and I still go directly to the

>article.

>

>Maybe just re-type it as I entered it.

I have to change this to get it to work. The Google combination below does not work. What does work is (and use the quotation marks):

"absolute sound" "double advent" fuse

Note - no quotation marks around the word fuse.

John

>By using Google, "absolute sound" "double

>advent" "fuse", I located:

>

>

>It looks the same as yours. My Google link worked. Try using

>Google.

>

>John

>

• 6 months later...
I have to change this to get it to work. The Google combination below does not work. What does work is (and use the quotation marks):

"absolute sound" "double advent" fuse

Note - no quotation marks around the word fuse.

John

>By using Google, "absolute sound" "double

>advent" "fuse", I located:

>

>

>It looks the same as yours. My Google link worked. Try using

>Google.

>

>John

>

Hi there;

I've been waiting for someone else to write about this, oh well, he goes.

The Double Advent System, as coined by, The Absolute Sound, was not specified as to how the speaker cabinets were to be placed.

Horizontal, vertical, stacked tweeters to tweeters, stacked woofers to woofers.

There was no mention about how they were mounted, if at all, how high from the floor, from the walls, etc..

I take it from that, that they were on stands, somewhere between 6" and 30" high, and side by side.

The only in-store demo I listened to of the, Double Advents, had them placed side by side, tweeter's on top, on speaker stands, placing the tweeters approximately 48" above the floor.

They were switches for either a pair or the Double System and other speakers as needed.

In between them was a pair of AR-3A's, with their tweeter's dead, or at least, non-operable and not obvious to me why so, for comparison with the Advent's.

While I was pleased with just the pair of Advent's and also a little more pleased with the Double Advent's, I moreso was exstatic with the AR-3A's extremely remarkable performance, even crippled.

At that time I owned AR-3A's and was working at the local AR warantee depot, so my curiosity was more aroused than normal.

In the article it was mentioned that, at that time, no other double system had been found.

This review was a few years after the Larger Advent was introduced.

An apparent tweeter output increase or at least enhancement was noticed by using the twins.

Surely to goodness there must be other compatible speaker twins for doubling.

The fuse size as recommended by Advent was not mentioned.

Buss FNM 8/10 amp slow blow fuse is the correct fuse size, for single speakers, the reviewer used AGC 3 amp fast blow glass fuses, for the Double Advent System.

Advent's reply appeared to be satisfied with the fuse size used by the reviewer.

• 10 months later...
Guest nolanpk
Hi there;

I've been waiting for someone else to write about this, oh well, he goes.

The Double Advent System, as coined by, The Absolute Sound, was not specified as to how the speaker cabinets were to be placed.

Horizontal, vertical, stacked tweeters to tweeters, stacked woofers to woofers.

There was no mention about how they were mounted, if at all, how high from the floor, from the walls, etc..

I take it from that, that they were on stands, somewhere between 6" and 30" high, and side by side.

The only in-store demo I listened to of the, Double Advents, had them placed side by side, tweeter's on top, on speaker stands, placing the tweeters approximately 48" above the floor.

They were switches for either a pair or the Double System and other speakers as needed.

In between them was a pair of AR-3A's, with their tweeter's dead, or at least, non-operable and not obvious to me why so, for comparison with the Advent's.

While I was pleased with just the pair of Advent's and also a little more pleased with the Double Advent's, I moreso was exstatic with the AR-3A's extremely remarkable performance, even crippled.

At that time I owned AR-3A's and was working at the local AR warantee depot, so my curiosity was more aroused than normal.

In the article it was mentioned that, at that time, no other double system had been found.

This review was a few years after the Larger Advent was introduced.

An apparent tweeter output increase or at least enhancement was noticed by using the twins.

Surely to goodness there must be other compatible speaker twins for doubling.

The fuse size as recommended by Advent was not mentioned.

Buss FNM 8/10 amp slow blow fuse is the correct fuse size, for single speakers, the reviewer used AGC 3 amp fast blow glass fuses, for the Double Advent System.

Advent's reply appeared to be satisfied with the fuse size used by the reviewer.

Interesting info about the Double Advents. I have listened to Double Advents using a McIntosh MC 2100 and a DC300a. I prefer the DC300a, but it is easy to damage your tweeters without the fuses. I am currently listening to the Doubles powered by a Marantz 1250. I am restoring a second Double system to be powered by a DC300a.

I also have double KLH Model 6's, now powered by the MC 2100. They sound wonderful. Not only is the bass superb, but the highs compare very favorably to much more expensive speakers, such as JBL L100s. I have them stacked tweeter to tweeter. I tried sisde-by-side, but they sounded like a gymnasium.

Thanks for the great post.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, they were stacked vertically with the upper pair inverted in a quasi-MTM arrangement. For the triple configuration, two were situated side by side with one stacked inverted as with the doubles.

rw

Archived