Tweeter on Advent model 5002 not working

Guest redsfan

Guest redsfan

Hi,

I have a pair of Advent Model 5002 speakers that I bought new a long time ago. They have the walnut veneer cabinet with rounded edges and 10" woofers with the metal basket. They have black domed oil-filled tweeters. They are serial number AE0 16496. They have been sitting idle in the basement for the last 10 years or so. After bumping into this forum, I decided to get them out and see what shape they were in. Of course the foam surrounds were rotted, so I replaced them last week. After that repair was complete, I gave them a test drive and found out that one of the tweeters is not working. I moved the tweeter that was not working to the other cabinet (the one with the working tweeter) and it did not work in there either. I measured the resistance of both tweeter coils, the working one measured about 5 ohms, the one that did not work is "open".

I would like to get these working again. As I said, I am the original owner and I have treated them well. I think they have a lot of miles left on them.

So I think I have a bad tweeter. Where can I get a replacement unit? I would like your thoughts on repairing these and recommendations on reputable Advent parts Suppliers, someone with whom you have had a good experience.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Guest redsfan

Hi Vern,

Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought also, to check for a replacement tweeter on ebay. Unfortunately I did not see an exact replacement there.

So I decided to look at the damaged tweeter more closely and I found the break in the coil wire. The break was where the wire leaves the coil and goes out to the terminal. It took quite a bit of patience, but I was able to scrap the coating (varnish?) off of the fine coil wire so it could be soldered. I had some slightly larger magnet wire that my son had used for a science experiment. I spliced a piece of that in to repair the break. It is now working again! I am not sure it will last, but it is working for the time being.

Since I had both tweeters out to trouble shoot this problem, the foam that sealed the tweeter to the cabinet to make the cabinet air tight was damaged. I saw in another post on this forum that you could use electricians putty for this. I am going to try that to seal the tweeters and also the woofers, since I had them out recently to replace the foam surrounds.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roberto

hi,Steve

you can buy an expensive but original replacement at:

www.simplyspeakers.com

his code is P85C00019 and is price is 69$!

ciao,

Roberto

Archived