Advent Market Share quiz ?

Andy

Kent, Thought I'd throw an abscure question to you regarding Advents market share in the early days. Not trying to stump the Advent expert, but I could'nt resist trying. I myself consider myself well read in KLH history, but I'm sure there's a lot I don't know.

Advent questions;

1)Advents rise begean in 1969, what year did they pass the king of the hill - Acoustic research in market share ?

2) What was Advents market share in some of the glory years 1973, 1974 and 1977 ?

The answers to trhese questions were posted by Tom Tyson a coupple of years ago, so he really gets the credit....I'll post them soon if your stumped.

Andy

Advents rise to gory is a pretty amazing story. Kloss had no intentions of continuing in loudspeaker production when we founded the company in 1967. By 1969 the industry was becoming crowded with

speaker companies, but smaller specilty companies, not the big ones like Zenith, RCA, etc. as he thought would happen. In his words, he said..."Fine. We'll go back and make speakers, and we did, selling more in our audience then we'd ever done.....that was the Advent loudspeaker. It had a better low end then the KLH Six and we underpriced it by 15 percent."

In 1969, Acoustic Research had 27.8 % of the speaker market, but declining. By 1973 Advent had 9.3% and AR's down to 12.5%. In 1974 Advent surpassed AR with 8.5% vs. AR's 8.1% market share.

By 1977 the speaker market was heavily deluded, AR was down to a very low 1.3% but Advent retained a 7.0% share, ahead of may others. Advent had the reputation which AR had back in the early 1960s of being about the best speaker for the money you could buy....Kloss had struck gold again !

Guest gkentsmith

Andy,

Post away. That sort of thing never really interested me. Based on my musical tastes, I found that being "king of the hill" had a downgrading effect on my favorite bands. Assuming the same of hi-fi trends, I didn't even want to know (lol).

Kent

Archived