Replacement dome mids for AR 9's , 90's, etc.... ????

Guest Sean

Has anybody ever replaced the factory "upper midrange" dome unit with another make / model ??? I seem to be "eating up" the factory stock units for some reason and am looking for something that is near identical but "sturdier". My initial leanings would be something from either Dynaudio or Morel, as a LOT of their stuff is built like a tank and close to the same sensitivity.

For the record, i am NOT clipping the amps, as i have 1200 wpc driving the 9's and 800 wpc driving the 90's. Since the tweeters are not "puking", i may need to investigate the caps in the crossover and make sure that they haven't shifted value. This would account for the stock mids going too low in frequency, therefore exposing them to a greater amount of power. Any comments / suggestions ???? Sean

>

Hi Sean;

I just had another wild thought, check out Nelson Pass's website for a paper on speakers adversely affecting the feedback loop of some amplifier designs. There is a SMALL possibility that your speaker/wire/amplifier system results in a resonance occurring in the frequency range covered by the upper mids.

It would be interesting to hook a 2 channel FFT to compare the input to the amplifier to the signal at the speaker terminals.

Have you considered bi-amping?

Nigel

Hi Sean;

I would recommend that while you have the speakers apart that you check all the components, and seriously consider replacing all of the caps, resistors and wiring. See the article on this site about rebuilding AR93 speakers.

Do your AR90 speakers have the same problem? Would consider swapping parts back and forth between the 9s and 90s?

Interesting mystery.

Nigel

Archived