How to best seal a driver and other rantings

Guest gregryjo

Guest gregryjo

Hi there all. My question is: How do I seal the drivers? I heard of a special roping material. I don't want to silicone...or do I?

Also as a side note, my 3 year old daughter turned my Onkyo A-10 to full and then my wife switched it on. Uggh! Now there is a persistent low volume rattle coming from the woofer. Do I need a replacement or can I salvage the woofer?

Thank you all for your shared wisdom.

Longtime Advent User,

Gregryjo

Though I'm no expert, on my Advents I use a greyish putty that electricians use. It is generally referred to as Duct Seal Putty. It may be the same as the Moretite product. It only takes a small rope about 1/4" in diameter around the opening and flatten by pressing down on the woofer frame. I know for a fact it stays pliable for at least ten years. As far as your rattle goes, it could be terminal or maybe just the voice coil former came loose from the cone. Pull the woofer and examine it. You may want to read up on how to remove the dustcover to view inside the voicecoil. Check out the posts about refoaming where some people remove the dustcover to shim the voice coil. Is the foam still intact?

Archived