Advent 1008

Guest bockstur

Guest bockstur

This is my first post and I'm new to this forum. I inherited a pair of Advent 1008 many years ago from my roommate who said they needed work. I put them away in storage and just recently moved to a new home and now I would like to resurrect them. I have a couple of questions. First, what vintage are they? I believe thay are Advents pre Jensen era. The serial numbers are 11999 and 12000. They are 2 way with 8 inch woofers (Model 1008). How do these rate in comparison to A1, A2 and A3's? Are they any good? Are they the same as the Prodigy? Cabinets are similar in style to Prodigy but different in dimensions. What I need is to have them refoamed...is that difficult to do? Glancing at some other posts it seems not that easy...anybody got a link with step by step instructions and/or who perhaps performs this service at a reasonable price? Anybody got any idea how much these speakers sold for in the year they were manufactured? Are these the same as Baby Advents (better/worse)? Thanks everybody.

Guest russwollman

Replacing foam surrounds isn't hard. It takes a little time, fuss, and bother. If you've done some work with your hands, the process won't be daunting. I have written a page or two about how I did it and will be happy to pass along the experience.

Sorry, I don't know much about the model 1008. But for about $20 you can buy new foam and get some experience doing that. Then you can audition the speakers, and life will proceed from there.

Advents restored and tweaked are very nice speakers.

Guest bockstur

Thanks for the encouragement...but what exactly do you mean by tweaked? Are there upgrades that can/should be done?....and please send me whatever info you have on refoaming. vrauba@us.ibm.com

Thanks. I love these forums :-)

Archived