Basic overview of Advent line

Guest gregryjo

Guest gregryjo

Hi Kent,

Great information even for a non techhead like me!

Two questions if you dont mind:

First. Are the tweeters/ crossovers/ woofers in the vinyl and utility cabinets the same (assuming I stick with the same model)? I need to replace mine. Are they interchangable? I realize there are differences between say the Advent1 and the large Advents (In regard to the drivers etc.). and what are those differences?

Second. Is there a chance I could request that this site include a specific forum elicting a basic overview of all the speakers produced by Advent in chronological order? I for one would appreciate a basic understanding of the Advent line. I have owned my A-4's since 1988-89 and I still cannot quite get a handle on the differences and timelines of all the Advents. Someone, possibly you, has this info in thier head and could easily document it.

Much appreciation.

Gregryjo

Guest One-Shot Scot

>Hi Kent,

>Great information even for a non techhead like me!

>Two questions if you dont mind:

>

>First. Are the tweeters/ crossovers/ woofers in the vinyl and

>utility cabinets the same (assuming I stick with the same

>model)?

Yes, from my experience the electronic components used in the entire large-size New Advent loudspeaker series are identical -- at least in function. During the New Advent production run, there were minor changes made to the crossovers, but not to the drivers.

The Woofers range between 4.2 to 4.6 ohms

The Tweeters range between 2.3 to 2.5 ohms

The layout of the A3 and U3 crossovers differs slightly from the layout of the A4 and U4 crossovers. Also, thicker insulation (but not thicker gauge wire) was used on A4 and U4 crossovers. The specifications for the electronic components are the same:

NEW ADVENT A4, U4, A3 and U3 Crossover Specifications:

(1) 0.33 mH inductor

(1) 13uF bi-polar capacitor

(1) 1ohm 10W resistor

(1) 1.5ohm 10W resistor

(1) 20 gauge red wire

(2) 20 gauge yellow wires

(2) 20 gauge black wires

(1) 3-position tweeter switch

(2) binding posts

I have been unable to find 13uF capacitors, so I combine a poly 6.2uF with a poly 6.8uF when refurbishing a crossover. Some say that using a 12uF capacitor is good enough, but Advent didn't think so, because the photos posted below show an original Advent A4 crossover with a 12uF cap combined with a 1uF cap.

https://home.comcast.net/~scot100/Advent/Ne...Crossovers.html

There are major differences between the U3 and U4 Utility cabinets when compared to the A3 and A4 furniture-model cabinets. However, there are only minor differences between the A3 and A4 cabinets:

https://home.comcast.net/~scot100/Advent/Ne...ntCabinets.html

>Second. Is there a chance I could request that this site

>include a specific forum elicting a basic overview of all the

>speakers produced by Advent in chronological order? I for one

>would appreciate a basic understanding of the Advent line.

I too would welcome a complete Advent history page.

> I have owned my A-4's since 1988-89 and I still cannot quite get

>a handle on the differences and timelines of all the Advents.

>Someone, possibly you, has this info in thier head and could

>easily document it.

>

>Much appreciation.

>Gregryjo

Guest gkentsmith

Hi,

I can answer your first question easily. Fundamentally, the utility and the walnut versions of any ADVENT COPORATION (important distinction) loudspeaker are the same electronically, although there were many small engineering changes as time went by, as is not unusual for electronics. Advent may have elevated engineering changes to a whole new plane, however. It is likely that, date for date, the walnut and vinyl versions were more or less in synch.

There ARE distinct and important differences between the A/U 3 & 4 (the New Large Advent) and the original Large Advent. The tweeters are technically different in spite of the orange fried egg design. The crossover frequencies are different, and the placement and performance characteristics of the metal basket woofer of the New Advent are distinctly different.

While it is true that the New Advent woofer is backward compatable with the original Advent, the reverse is not true. Pete B and Doug can both address crossover issues better than I, and there is plenty of discussion here in other threads about all of the above.

As for your second request, you'll need to address that to the administrator, but I would guess you can just use this thread or start a new one to try to get the Advent geneology going.

I am compiling a comprehensive analysis of the Advent evolution, but it is months or years from completion, and even when finished will probably be incomplete and replete with errors.

Hope I was able to help,

Kent

Archived