Advent 25th anniverary speakers ......1992

Andy

This pair just went unsold due to the optimistic $250 openinng bid, ebay # 330040609463. I didn't know these were even produced. Has anyone heard them,haow do they compare to the originals and where were they made ? They must be rather scare with this pair having serial #'s in the 400's.

Guest russwollman

There was a writeup of these in the May '93 issue of Stereophile, worth reading because it's entertaining. I have a reprint but no way to get it into a computer.

They were offered at $549 per pair at J&R in NY and then dropped to $299/pr after J&R bought a boatload of them.

I think they gave you cake when you bought them. But what kind of cake I don't know, though it probably had walnuts in it.

Guest One-Shot Scot

>This pair just went unsold due to the optimistic $250

>openinng bid, ebay # 330040609463. I didn't know these were

>even produced. Has anyone heard them,haow do they compare to

>the originals and where were they made ? They must be rather

>scare with this pair having serial #'s in the 400's.

And they're back, this time with an Opening Bid of $230 and a Buy It Now price of $330: Item number: 330041668391. Obviously, the seller is following the market down. His extremely-wordy description of these speakers is mostly sizzle, with very little steak: "Whatever choice of music you make these speakers are going to sound stunning." -- "Nora Jones 'feels like home' CD seems like your attending a private session and you can almost see the performers on stage." -- "Transient response is the match of any, horns and strings are rich and full, the crossover point and two way design are perfect for this speaker."

These speakers were a nostalgia item, probably made by Jensen, based on the look of the New Advent Loudspeaker from the mid 70s. A pair of Advent Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Loudspeakers sold a few months ago for around $350 on eBay, but they were still in their factory sealed boxes.

By 1992, Henry Kloss had moved on to Cambridge SoundWorks and his Advent brand was nothing more than the trademark name of a formerly-great loudspeaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kloss

Archived